1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Channel signal strength varies a lot?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by jfharrison, Aug 8, 2014.

1. jfharrison

jfharrison Member

Dec 30, 2006
    I have digital cable, RG6 from powered splitter, 54-1000 mhz freq.
    It is a rocketfish that is replacing a Dropamp that croaked just outside of it's warranty period.

Using Settings -> Channels -> Signal Strength - Cable

On channels up to around mid 60's I get in the 80's to 90's.
    Channel 69, on which I watch Daily Show & Colbert, it is low 60's and more than expected pixelation.
    Channel 70 is up in the high 80's & 90's.

I could understand it better if all channels above a certain range were lower, but for channel 69 to stand out as lower? What could that be caused by?

This signal strength reading was taken with nothing else using the cable except an internet modem.

Thanks, Jon

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra Cable only

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Call your cable provider. There may be a bad feed on that channel.

3. jfharrison

jfharrison Member

Dec 30, 2006
    Thanks, that would be Charter Cable.
    I think I'd rather have a root canal than talk to them but I'll see what they say.

jon

4. JoeKustra

JoeKustra Cable only

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I agree, but if you can get to an engineering person they tend to take picture quality personally. Some times an email, especially to Corporate, gets action.

5. jfharrison

jfharrison Member

Dec 30, 2006
    Things seem to be working better now, I'll have to wait until next week and see if more viewers on the service impact my current conditions.

It turns out that I have a mtr700 tuning adapter that was accidentally unplugged & hidden behind the tivo. My system is a Premier XL w/ cable card & analog CRT tv. So my system has been operating with a cable card and no tuning adapter. I really am not sure why I need a tuning adapter but maybe it allows me to receive HD channels on my analog tv?

Now that I have the tuning adapter turned on again, that signal strength that I was using is no longer an available option so I cannot determine if the channels that previously had lower signal strength have changed. Maybe the tuning adapter being unplugged was my problem.

Jon