1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Channel Map Tivoweb module

Discussion in 'TiVo Underground' started by Zirak, Jun 4, 2002.

1. Jun 4, 2002 #1 of 156
    Zirak

Zirak New Member

Apr 24, 2002
    New York
    The is the new and improved (final?) Tivoweb module to remap channel numbers for a given station.

Earlier versions would fail under certain conditions. (if you had LOTS of channels)

There are also several other usability improvements.

Rename the module to ChannelMap.itcl before dropping in your modules directory.

Attachment has been deleted. Get it from the Tivoweb site, http://tivo.lightn.org/

2. Jun 5, 2002 #2 of 156
    ModiStru

ModiStru Earthling

Feb 20, 2002
    Rhode Island
    "Channel object was malformed. This can't happen, but it did!"

Trying to remap the 'Food' network. Guide data states it's on a different channel than what is mapped in the cable lineup. Kinda sucks when you want to record the 'Iron Chef' and get a 1hr. ad for a device that electrically stimulates your face into a perpetual look of surprise.

Info:
    2 x Philips 312 SA +80GB <B> drive
    TiVoNet
    TiVoWeb 1.9.3 + FSID mod
    Digital cable (150+ entries in the channel lineup)

3. Jun 5, 2002 #3 of 156
    Zirak

Zirak New Member

Apr 24, 2002
    New York
    What is the channel object? (available from the ChannelMap channel list page?)

I have a tendency to overcode error checks. All my objects are of the form XXXX/XXX, and I assume that they all must be of this format. If its not the case, I will remove the error check, and everything should be groovy.

4. Jun 6, 2002 #4 of 156
    ModiStru

ModiStru Earthling

Feb 20, 2002
    Rhode Island
    Here is the excerpt from the listchan page of the object I'd like to modify...

FOOD 64 Rebuild Extended Basic 591262/5200 591041/-1
    FOOD 64 Digital Rebuild Extended Basic 591262/5060 591041/-1

The 'Digital Rebuild...' lineup is what's being used.

Thanks!

5. Jun 6, 2002 #5 of 156
    ModiStru

ModiStru Earthling

Feb 20, 2002
    Rhode Island
    So after my last reply I decided that you had given me enough of a hint to jump in & modify the code.

Changed line 91 to:
    if {![string compare [string index $Channel 6] "/"]==0} {

This worked for my case, but I assume that forcing the check to 6 will not work for everyone. BTW, all my channel objects are in the form XXXXXX/XXXX.

Thanks a bunch!

6. Jun 6, 2002 #6 of 156
    Zirak

Zirak New Member

Apr 24, 2002
    New York
    Indeed that is it. An update is attached that allows an arbitrary length object and subobject.

Attachment deleted, newer version at bottom.

7. Jun 7, 2002 #7 of 156
    ModiStru

ModiStru Earthling

Feb 20, 2002
    Rhode Island
    Thanks!

All my base belong to you :)

8. Jun 18, 2002 #8 of 156
    airplanedan

airplanedan New Member

Jun 18, 2002
    I'm using your module with a sa tivo 3.0 and tivoweb 1.9.4b2 and it appears to be working correctly. Channels that I remap are displayed with the new numbers, however the tivo doesn't seem to recognize the changes. I've rebooted multiple times but still the original channel mappings are being used. Channelmap continues to see the correct (remapped) channel mappings. Any ideas?

9. Jun 18, 2002 #9 of 156
    Zirak

Zirak New Member

Apr 24, 2002
    New York
    Apparently a reboot won't do the trick anymore. Go to Messages & Setup / My Preferences / Customize Channels / Cable Lineups, and change the lineup to something else. Then change it back. That should commit the changes. You will have to re-customize the "channels you receive" section.

I guess I could make the module do this too.

10. Jun 18, 2002 #10 of 156
    airplanedan

airplanedan New Member

Jun 18, 2002
    Thanks. Looks like it worked but I'll know for sure when I get home. Now that I finally installed my Tivonet after having it sit on a shelf for a year I'll be doing some poking around. Who knows... maybe I'll figure out how to force the refresh.

11. Jun 21, 2002 #11 of 156
    Zirak

Zirak New Member

Apr 24, 2002
    New York
    This version adds:

1) Ability to commit changes to the "active" lineup. No need to change the lineup back and forth in setup. Its much more convenient since setup also resets channels you receive, etc.

2) Ability to Save the current lineup configuration.

3) Ability to reload the saved configuration. Useful if you are constantly getting "incorrect" updates. I understand this happens frequently in the UK.

Drop the .txt extension and drop in the modules folder.

Tested with 3.0, don't anticipate problems in 2.5.1.

As always, use at your own risk.

Attachment deleted. See next message.

12. Jun 28, 2002 #12 of 156
    Zirak

Zirak New Member

Apr 24, 2002
    New York
    Well, I assumed that once you did a setup the the channel objects in the lineups were fixed for all time. Bad assumption. A week or two ago I got a lineup change that ONLY added a PPV preview channel. For some reason this caused the channel objects in the lineups to be recreated from scratch. Kinda strange, but it is what it is.

This version will attempt to rebuild the map using the old lineup names and channel names, i.e. CNN/Extended Basic.

If that doesn't work, you will have to fall back to a manual rebuild.

Again, the last version until something else breaks!:rolleyes:

Drop the txt extension, put in the tivoweb modules directory.

Attachment deleted, module is now on tivoweb site.

ChannelMap module

13. Jul 5, 2002 #13 of 156
    gardavis

gardavis New Member

Nov 24, 2001
    Deerfield...
    I just tried your new module after failing with an older version.

I did experience a problem. I remapped 2 channels but when I committed the change, the remapping occurred in the wrong order

My mapping request:
    (2203/-1) Changing HBOZ - {Home Box Office Zone} From Ch:559 To Ch: 560
    (2202/-1) Changing HBOC - {Home Box Office Comedy} From Ch:557 To Ch: 559

Committing happened backwards:
    (2202/-1) Applying HBOC - {Home Box Office Comedy} From Ch:557 To Ch: 559
    (2203/-1) Applying HBOZ - {Home Box Office Zone} From Ch:559 To Ch: 560

The result is HBOZ on 560 and HBOC disappeared instead of being on 559!

I guess I will have to do this in 2 steps.

Thanks for this module!

Edit:
    559 (HBOC) disappeared from the Tivo but does display in the channelmap list correctly.

Edit:
    I was able to find 559 in "Channels You Receive" and it was unchecked. Checking it on solved the issue. Note that 560 was already checked on.

14. Jul 6, 2002 #14 of 156
    Zirak

Zirak New Member

Apr 24, 2002
    New York
    Commiting changes will happen in alphabetical order, per lineup. The module checks both the long and short name to identify matches (Home Box Office Zone, and HBOZ). It does not use the channel number.

The module doesn't tamper with any favorite/channel you receive information. I am at a loss for how it would have been "switched off," unless it was previously switched off.

Was it unchecked before you started?

15. Jul 6, 2002 #15 of 156
    gardavis

gardavis New Member

Nov 24, 2001
    Deerfield...
    Before:

557 and 559 were checked on and 560 did not exist.

After:
    559 was checked off and 560 was checked on. 557 no longer exists.

Thanks,
    Gary

16. Jul 6, 2002 #16 of 156
    Zirak

Zirak New Member

Apr 24, 2002
    New York
    I tried, but can't reproduce the behavior. The "channels you receive" information isn't stored in the same place in the database. I haven't been able to locate it. This might be some kind of D-Tivo thing.

I would be interested in hearing if others see the same behavior, and what kind of system they have. But...

At this point, chalk it up to PFM.

17. Jul 6, 2002 #17 of 156
    gardavis

gardavis New Member

Nov 24, 2001
    Deerfield...
    My Tivo is a Sony SVR 2000 (standalone).

18. Jul 7, 2002 #18 of 156
    tlphipps

tlphipps Member

Jul 3, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    OK, I hope someone can help me with this. I've searched all over this forum for two days now and can't find an answer.

I receive my local channels through my apartment complex's cable system (for FREE). Unfortunately they remap the UHF channels.

My problem is this, when I used the channel map module, the channel was remapped to the correct number, but on the satellite connection, NOT the RF connection (that's where my local cable is input). Is there any way to force the remap to happen on channel xx(ant) as opposed to channel xx(sat)?

19. Jul 7, 2002 #19 of 156
    Zirak

Zirak New Member

Apr 24, 2002
    New York
    Sounds like the multiple headend problem. This module will only look at the lineups in the first headend. It shouldn't be hard to make the module work on multiple headends, but, I have a single headend standalone - no way to test it.

Short of making it work with multiple headends, if you are somewhat adept, you should be able to switch which headend it looks at, and remap the other channels. I can point you to the three lines to change if you wish, and help as I can. I don't think its particularly risky to try, but I make no guarantee. As always, make sure you have a backup.

Ah, and its probably a bad idea to simultaneously run two copies of the module, one for each headend.

20. Jul 8, 2002 #20 of 156
    tlphipps

tlphipps Member

Jul 3, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    OK, I'm feeling adventurous. If you'll help me out, I'll see what damage (hopefully not) I can do.