1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Channel list help

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Tdurkovich, Nov 9, 2013.

1. Tdurkovich

Tdurkovich New Member

Nov 9, 2013
    My husband biught me the tivo roamio for my birthday. We have an antenna type of set up with cable. We don't have a cable box. When I scan the channels I get 281 channels found. When I go to the channel list only 12 channels appear. When I try to watch live tv on those channels, nothin happens. The TiVo says "unable to tune into this channel". We normally get about 100 channels when we attach the cable plug/antenna into the tv itself. It doesn't seem to be reading the channels when we go through the TiVo. I have reset the TiVo twice and rescanned the channels multiple times.
    Does that mean TiVo will never work for us?
    Is there something I am doing wrong in the set up?
  2. stevewjackson

stevewjackson Steve W. Jackson

Nov 2, 2007
    When you say you "reset" the box, does that mean you did the Guided Setup process? When you do that, you should be prompted to indicate how you received your channels (cable or antenna) as well as your location. If this works as it should, then your guide data should reflect whatever TiVo has for that setting. But it's entirely possible that you could get channels not reflected in the guide.
  3. mdscott

mdscott New Member

Jun 26, 2002
    Tracey -- a bit of extra detail to stevewjackson's good advice:

I assume you have the basic Roamio model...
    Starting from TiVo Central/Settings & Messages/Help/Reset & Restart

The SECOND item on screen should be Repeat Guided Setup

As you work through the guided setup you will be able to confirm your zip code and cable provider. Selecting the correct provider will make sure that the correct channels are set for the TiVo. You will also be able to indicate whether you receive any premium channels such as HBO.

4. bobfrank

bobfrank New Member

Mar 17, 2005
    Do you have a cable card from your cable company installed in the Tivo? If not, that is probably your problem.
  5. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    What part of the country are you in, who's your cable company, are you trying to get broadcast, over the air channels, analog cable channels, or digital cable channels?
  6. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Are you trying to set the Roamio up to work with cable or antenna?

The basic Roamio will work with either, but not both at the same time.