1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changing M-Cards between tivos?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by eirefire22, Aug 19, 2012.

1. eirefire22

eirefire22 New Member

Aug 19, 2012
    Hello! I currently have a Tivo HD with an M Card from Comcast. I just purchased the Premiere 4 tuner - can I change over the M Card myself or do you have to have the cable company come out to do it?

Thanks!

2. scole250

scole250 Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Goldsboro, NC
    I just did that with TWC. They have a CC self install support number. Only took 10 minutes. Maybe someone knows the Comcast CC self install number.

3. lillevig

lillevig Hot in West Texas

Dec 6, 2010
    San Angelo, TX
    You can physically change it over yourself (watch out for static electricity). It will need to be paired with the new Tivo so usually cable companies have a number to call. I just did the same switch over yesterday for my new P4.

4. crawlernight11

crawlernight11 New Member

Aug 9, 2012
    That's a very simple process and you can do it yourself. There is no need for the cable company to come over. Premiere series will support only M-Cards and the CableCARD slot is located at the back usually. The entire process may consume about 1 hour to complete. All you need to do it simply move the Multi-stream CableCARD from your old TiVo box to your new TiVo Premiere and follow the instructions on the installation menus that automatically appear on your TV screen. You can also call the self installation number for help that is available in the website.

5. Finalrinse

Finalrinse New Member

Jan 12, 2005
    S.E. Michigan
    Did a call to Comcast work? I'll be trying this tonight.

6. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Quad Sillies
    That depends on the CableCo. We have Mediacom, and I took an M-card I had for a beta unit (when I had to return the beta) and put it in my TiVo HD without a hiccup (it had to S-cards). No pairing required.

7. Finalrinse

Finalrinse New Member

Jan 12, 2005
    S.E. Michigan
    My call to Comcast worked, they were glad to try and do it over the phone. Just make sure if it's a new box you absolutely need to do guided setup first before you call.