1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ceton Beta testers

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Joe01880, May 4, 2012.

1. May 4, 2012 #1 of 48
    Joe01880

Joe01880 I love my TiVo

Feb 8, 2009
    Boston
  2. May 4, 2012 #2 of 48
    mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Active Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    I signed up for both beta programs earlier this week. The announcement was posted over at The Missing Remote on April 28th, so you're a little behind.

3. May 4, 2012 #3 of 48
    fyodor

fyodor Member

Sep 19, 2006
    I signed up. The absence of tolerable extender solutions has been the main thing holding me back from going back to the HTPC DVR world.

4. May 5, 2012 #4 of 48
    mr.unnatural

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    SageTV had a great extender. Unfortunately, they got bought out and SageTV and their wonderful extenders are no longer available. I hate it when a successful product gets bought up by a larger company and then vanishes from the marketplace.

5. May 5, 2012 #5 of 48
    RockinRay

RockinRay Member

Aug 25, 2004
    Twin Cities, MN
    +1 - we used SageTV for about 2 years. It was a great product and the HD300's rocked.

Too bad Google has not done anything with them since they bought them out.

6. May 5, 2012 #6 of 48
    fyodor

fyodor Member

Sep 19, 2006
    I actually used SageTV for several years back in the day. It had the best recording engine of anything I've tried and some neat transcoding plugins. But I didn't like the interface much and there weren't any non-clunky ways to view premium content.

7. May 5, 2012 #7 of 48
    tootal2

tootal2 New Member

Oct 14, 2005
    I wonder how much it will cost.

8. May 5, 2012 #8 of 48
    mr.unnatural

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    Beta testing is generally free, AFAIK. If you're testing software it probably has an expiration date. If you're testing hardware you probably have to return it after the trial period is over. They might want you to post a deposit or provide a credit card number as collateral, but as I've never been involved in one before I'm only guessing. You're pretty much forbidden to talk about it if you're accepted into the test so I've heard next to nothing about how it works.

9. May 5, 2012 #9 of 48
    paulnelson20

paulnelson20 New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    From what's been posted by the guys at Ceton, you pay for the extender up front, when the beta test is over, you keep the unit at no additional charge. What will be interesting is if there will be a difference in price of the beta test unit (discount for being a beta tester/having to deal with any bugs) and the finished retail unit.

10. mr.unnatural

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    They should offer it to you at a discount or allow you to upgrade to a retail version once it's been debugged. If it only requires a software or firmware update then it's not a bad deal.

11. Worf

Worf Active Member

Sep 15, 2000
    I use my Xbox360 as a Media Center extender. The UI's the same as it's really just doing an RDP session into the HTPC.

12. mr.unnatural

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    The main problem with any current Media Center extender is that they seriously lack codec support for most of the popular formats like MKVs or Blu-Rays. Hopefully the Ceton extender will address this issue and provide wider support. Actual features haven't been released yet so it's anyone's guess what they'll actually be able to handle.

13. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Active Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    You mean successful product as in a product you like or one that works well? I have seen nothing that makes me believe it was a successful product from the company's standpoint, one that sells well and is highly profitable, if it was, it would still be available for purchase.

This Ceton box is exciting, I am not interested other than as an observing bystander and won't be buying one. If there is a similar product based on TiVo in the future, that would be even more exciting.

14. Joe01880

Joe01880 I love my TiVo

Feb 8, 2009
    Boston
    I looked here and didnt see anything about it so I posted the announcemnet when i saw it on Endgaqdget.
    Although I do not think my TiVo's will be going any where any time soon I always have my eye out for a new toy and the chance to play with one for free, or maybe even get paid to do it, then keep it. Just sharing but its good you already knew about it. I did not!

15. tootal2

tootal2 New Member

Oct 14, 2005
    You dont get paid for the beta. you have to pay for the ceton echo. I have to use a computer to watch shows in my bedroom from my ceton cable card pc.
    The echo will save me some power.

I still dont know what im going to do with my tivos. but it looks like i dont need them anymore.

16. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Active Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    Thought about signing up but realized I don't care. I will wait and see what they end up offering software wise when it comes out. I am more interested in playing with the Q.

17. mr.unnatural

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    I meant successful in that it was a product that appeared to work better than any other offerings currently available. I don't know how successful it was financially. SageTV was always a niche product with a fanbase that was smaller than the number of WMC users. I never actually used the Sage 300 extender but I was in the process of evaluating SageTV with the patched version that worked with the Ceton InfiniTV4 tuner when Google took them over.

I was interested in getting the Sage extenders but my timing was off. I never did finish evaluating SageTV because there seemed to be little point after the takeover. I couldn't buy a license for it if I wanted to and the Sage store closed up shop, which meant no extenders unless I went through ebay or other similar source.

18. paulnelson20

paulnelson20 New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    I would have thought about it too, however I have ditched my WMC/Ceton set-up and have gone back to Tivo for my tv usage (using my HTPC for watching blu-ray rips and downloads). The whole guide data issues lately and the spontaneous crashes of the InfiniTV 4 are the main culprits. I don't want to have to check every other day to make sure my guide data is updating, especially if there is something a week down the line and there is no data in WMC, sometimes I don't remember to check again after the guide finally updates. When it gets down to 4-6 days worth of data (several times in the span of a month or two, it becomes a nuisance.

19. tootal2

tootal2 New Member

Oct 14, 2005
    my wmc guide runs out on 5-11-12:( i hope they fix this problem soon. i still have my tivo running

20. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    What a great deal! Ceton convinces you to purchase a full price pre-production unit and expects you to report all of the software bugs and usability issues!

I suppose you will then have to pay full price again for an actual working model once YOU find all the bugs in it!!!

Yeah, sounds like a great idea to me.... I am sure they will creativly spin this to find enough people to pay them for the privilege to do their work for them! And what happens if this thing never makes it into production? Do you get reimbursed? Will the guide continue to be supported?

Have fun with that...