1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CES Rumors and expectations

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by bradleys, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Jan 1, 2017 #1 of 132
    bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    So CES starts next week and we know that TiVo ia planning some announcements. What do you think we will see?

I am sure several of you will cloud this thread with complaints and that is fine, but tell me what you would like to see and how you think it might grow market share - or not.

2. Jan 1, 2017 #2 of 132
    UCLABB

UCLABB Active Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Well, I certainly want TiVo to do well and make money. But personally, I hate the idea of streaming from the cloud. To slow and choppy when trying to rewind or fast forward. And, I wonder how commercials will be handled.

But, maybe the younger generation who are used to streaming flaws or are unaware that they even are flaws, will be fine with such a box. I assume one Advantage will be a much lower initial cost.

pj1983 and bradleys like this.
  3. Jan 1, 2017 #3 of 132
    mntvjunkie

mntvjunkie Member

May 12, 2009
    You have a point with choppy fast forwarding and rewinding, but other than that, I don't really see a lot of "flaws" in streaming. IMO streaming is more for commercial free or limited commercial content, like Hulu, Netflix, Amazon, HBO, etc. Today I consume about 30% of my content through streaming, and if cable wasn't included as part of my association, I'd probably dump cable and stay with Hulu, Netflix, etc. full time.

4. Jan 1, 2017 #4 of 132
    Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I'm still not so sure the Mavrik is a "cloud DVR". I still think it might be a hybrid that mixes local recordings of OTA channels with a cloud based OTT skinny bundle like PS Vue.

And even for the channels that do have commercials on the skinny bundle they've got skip mode now, so FFing isn't as big of a deal.

cybergrimes likes this.
  5. Jan 1, 2017 #5 of 132
    Thom

Thom Unemployed and loving it !

Jun 5, 2000
    Whittier,...
    The only way I'll be interested in a Mavrik is if I can point it to a local NAS on my network as its cloud storage.

If the cloud storage is mandated to be on TiVo's servers, that is a complete non-starter for me. After all, consider how many of us Roamio owners have experienced problems with ordinary Roamio functions due to problems at TiVo.

pj1983, samccfl99, Brazos and 4 others like this.
  6. Jan 1, 2017 #6 of 132
    scottchez

scottchez Member

Dec 1, 2003
    Sure would love some kind of CES 2017 Tivo Sale by Tivo. Maybe some kind of Press release on the new stuff and oh by the way we are having a big sale for CES. Tivo Corp if you read these, hint hint, think of all the good press and extra sales you would get.

Say maybe the Tivo Bolt Plus on sale to advertise the 6 tunes and 3TB HD (something most cable systems don't have yet).
    The Tivo Corp White out sale is not very good (500 gig?, won't work for me)
    I really need the Bolt Plus. The big river store had them on Sale Dec 14 so it is possible.
    Would love to come back to Tivo, been away for a while.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
  7. Jan 1, 2017 #7 of 132
    BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Active Member

Mar 21, 2004
    - Ira said we'd be invited to test something around CES time, and I'm guessing the accidental DVR "cloud recording" leak from last month is it (see pic).

- Mavrik and "cloud recording." The FCC filing's confidentiality request expires 2 days after CES ends.

- Edit: Don't know which flavor(s) of the new UX we'll see since the PR said it was a closed-door thing, but maybe they'll have an updated "Project Hydra" mobile app or customized website to demonstrate the Mavrik.

There's still supposed to be a Mini in the pipeline but I'm guessing it'll miss CES.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
  8. Jan 1, 2017 #8 of 132
    Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I seriously doubt w'll see any kind of sale.

9. Jan 2, 2017 #9 of 132
    bradleys

Oct 31, 2007
    I use plex a lot and it works well for movies. The FF / RR is terrible so I would hat to have a tv show with commercials on it! I don't think the MaVrik is going to bring a lot of value to a Roamio or Bolt user.

I do hope the new mobile UI they are developing g to support the MaVerik replaces the existing mobile tools - both TiVo online and the mobile apps.

They are all getting pretty old without a lot of updates - so I expect (hope) a major update is in the works.

I am not afraid of the prospect of a new TiVo UI as well, I just hope it can be used as easily as the existing UI.

10. Jan 2, 2017 #10 of 132
    mrsean

mrsean Member

May 15, 2006
    New Jersey
    I'd be surprised if the 4K Mini is not at CES. It's the easiest product for Tivo to come out with at this point considering it probably consists of just an updated processor and more memory.

11. Jan 2, 2017 #11 of 132
    jcthorne

jcthorne Active Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    I actually figured the new Mantis and the new 4k Mini were the same product. IE the new Mantis is a 4k Mini with a OTA tuner and 'Cloud DVR' software that could indeed roll out to other tivo products.

12. Jan 2, 2017 #12 of 132
    atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    From the info we have the Mantis doesn't connect to a TV, it is a network attached and requires another device (Mini, or perhaps a third party device like Apple TV) to be used.

tim1724 and bradleys like this.
  13. Jan 2, 2017 #13 of 132
    Sgt Howl

Sgt Howl Member

Jan 18, 2013
    I hope there is an app for the Mantis available to run on our TiVo boxes.

14. Jan 2, 2017 #14 of 132
    Bigg

Bigg Active Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    That would make a lot more sense IMO. Although then aren't you sort of describing the Roamio OTA?

That could be. Like Tablo does. But then it wouldn't really have much to do with the Cloud, unless they are calling it "the cloud". It wouldn't be that outlandish with all these "personal cloud" devices.

15. Jan 2, 2017 #15 of 132
    qz3fwd

qz3fwd Member

Jul 6, 2007
    I agree 100%. If the storage is on Tivo servers-no thank you. I want to control my recordings and not have to round trip the data from my local network up to their servers and consume a portion of my bandwidth allocation per month.

If you are on Comcast and have a 1TB monthly "quota", that makes 200 monthly 1 hour 5 GB/hour MPEG2 17 mbps recordings uploaded to their servers, or 100 recordings uploaded and fully watched (downloaded)....no thank you.

Brazos likes this.
  16. Jan 2, 2017 #16 of 132
    bradleys

Oct 31, 2007
    Well, if the MaVrik works like Plex, your local storage is the cloud storage. That would be a very interesting concept. It would be also possible to use a stand alone TiVo in the same way.

From a MaViks point of view it makes it more marketable as a simple server with steamers as as the point of access. Not a bad option...

From a normal TiVo perspective is it would offer neightive streaming from local storage.

All in all, not a bad concept

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
  17. Jan 2, 2017 #17 of 132
    scottspeed

scottspeed New Member

Nov 1, 2004
  18. Jan 2, 2017 #18 of 132
    alexb

alexb Member

Jan 4, 2003
    Kirkland, WA
    No I don't think that's the case as all the leaked shots show no video out except via apps, though I do think the underlying new UI and platform will come to some set of TiVos, as such the 4K mini and bolt+ is something I expect to see shift to some of the new elements.

19. Jan 2, 2017 #19 of 132
    alexb

alexb Member

Jan 4, 2003
    Kirkland, WA
    Great link, thanks, do we know what % of TiVo staff were sloughed off into that subsidiary? Do we know if the subsidiary is still owned by newtivo?

20. Jan 2, 2017 #20 of 132
    Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Think more like a Tablo with integrated PSVue. You setup recordings using a single UI. If it's a local station it records locally using the tuners in the box. If it's a "cable" channel it's recorded in the cloud and streamed when you want to watch it.