1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CES == Android support?

Discussion in 'TiVo Stream' started by ilovedvrs, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Jan 7, 2014 #1 of 25
    ilovedvrs

ilovedvrs Member

Oct 20, 2004
    My FREE Tivo Stream I got with my Roamio is still sitting it the box.....

When is Android support going to be added?

Will Tivo announce it this week?

Only news so far is some prototype that will never happen... http://www.engadget.com/2014/01/07/tivo-network-dvr-prototype/?ncid=rss_truncated

1) when with Stream support android?
    2) how much are you going to double charge us yet again for the Android app?
    3) why are your engineers so slow?

2. Jan 7, 2014 #2 of 25
    bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    The "show" doesn't really start until tomorrow and lasts all week, so you are going to have to be a little more patient!

You were charged for the Android app?

The proper question is: why did it take Android so long to support HLS streaming protocol?

I am still betting only devices with the most recent Android update (HLS Protocol) are going to be supported and the Android guys on this forum are going to lose their minds!

3. Jan 7, 2014 #3 of 25
    Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I will be shocked if they support anything less then Android 4.0 and it wont surprise me if they actually require 4.2+

Although there is a 3rd party HLS SDK available for Android that supports older versions, so there is a small amount of hope that they licensed that and will support older versions. But I doubt it.

4. Jan 7, 2014 #4 of 25
    todd_j_derr

todd_j_derr Member

Jun 6, 2000
    Pittsburgh,...
    Hm, it might actually be time to order a Roamio...

5. Jan 8, 2014 #5 of 25
    davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Northern...
    Nothing being shown publicly at CES, but I hear there are private Android streaming demos... coming soon?

6. Jan 8, 2014 #6 of 25
    Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    So is the only announcement from TiVo at CES going to be the cloud DVR thing?

7. Jan 8, 2014 #7 of 25
    aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    So maybe in 2015 then? Crap! I can't believe how long this is taking.

8. Jan 8, 2014 #8 of 25
    NotNowChief

NotNowChief Addicted to TiVo

Mar 29, 2012
    New York...
    LOL this is hysterical.

9. Jan 8, 2014 #9 of 25
    davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Northern...
    Well there was also that Control4 announcement.

10. davidkillion

davidkillion New Member

Jul 18, 2009
    Sadly, I couldn't wait. Dropped some coin on an iPad Mini just for this feature ... Samsung tablet has not left the backpack since.

11. ilovedvrs

ilovedvrs Member

Oct 20, 2004
    Apple hardware / iOS blows chunks..... I will have never touch such a device and spit all users.

so I have to keep waiting....

12. New Tron

New Tron New Member

Nov 1, 2013
    Wow. You sound kind of screwed up in the head. Not to mention your poor grammar. With an attitude like that you'll probably have a coronary while you wait...

13. todd_j_derr

todd_j_derr Member

Jun 6, 2000
    Pittsburgh,...
    Well, I was ready to buy at least one Roamio Pro, possibly even two.

I've already spent a few thousand dollars on Tivo hardware based on their "coming soon" promise - it is time for them to start apologizing, make Android support a priority, announce a date, and deliver it. There is absolutely no excuse for how long "coming soon" has taken.

14. davidkillion

davidkillion New Member

Jul 18, 2009
    Really? I know some people take their hardware/software platforms seriously - but that's a little over the top.

15. Austin Bike

Austin Bike Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Something sucks. I know because I will never touch it.

When I was a kid my parents convinced me that pizza tasted bad so I never tried it.

You are adding nothing to the conversation. Both platforms have their place, I run both. To summarily discount half the market without ever using it shows your ignorance on the topic.

16. ilovedvrs

ilovedvrs Member

Oct 20, 2004
    I never said I have not used it in the past.

In fact, I have developed an iOS app that is in the Apple store.
    My experience with Mac Mini/ ipod Touch/apple co. has turned me so off of everything apple. I have long sold all apple products.

17. KJW

KJW Member

Sep 27, 2003
    Are you crazy!? Don't you realize this whole forum was taken over by apple fanboys? Any complaint about TiVo's failure to live up to its promise to support android is taken as a direct challenge to their entire view of the universe, which of course centers around all things apple. Oops, sorry, sorry, I mean Apple. With a capital A.

All hail Jobs.

18. derekmski

derekmski New Member

Jan 11, 2014
    Any news about stream for android release date? These posts tend to trail off to pages and pages of useless crap between apple and android that no one really cares about.

19. KJW

KJW Member

Sep 27, 2003
    Nope, no news. Nothing since, I think, last Fall when they identified a vague early 2014 date. But I would think that, if it was close, they would have said something at CES.

20. NotNowChief

NotNowChief Addicted to TiVo

Mar 29, 2012
    New York...
    Truth.