1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cellular stream work around

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by bradleys, Oct 24, 2013.

1. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    I wanted to report on the capabilities of the OOH stream on just a cellular connection.

While you cannot initiate a direct stream over a cellular connection, you can start a download and begin watching after just a few moments.

Pretty cool:

Start a recording -> initiate a download to your IOS device -> start watching

So while we are waiting for Apple to approve streaming for LTE connected devices, TiVo has given us a very robust work around that gives full functionality when on the road!
  2. Devx

Devx New Member

Jun 1, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Good find, this works great. :up: Thanks. :)

The only thing it doesn't allow of course is streaming from premium channels but usually those shows can be streamed direct from the channel's app.
  3. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    The only thing I don't know is what the difference is in amount of data used to download vs stream a video.

But it was very cool of TiVo (planned or unplanned) to provide this very robust work around.
  4. mrizzo80

mrizzo80 Active Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Margret just posted a bunch of bandwidth stats.

5. overFEDEXed

overFEDEXed Member

Nov 11, 2002
    On a somewhat related note;
    While I was downloading a show, at first it said 123 MB at basic. After a few minutes it changed to 155 MB's. Strange I thought.