1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CBS pulls plug on ‘Smith,’ making crime drama first fall show to get ax

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by dswallow, Oct 6, 2006.

1. Oct 6, 2006 #1 of 38
    dswallow

dswallow Save the Moderatоr TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    Looks like it's back to movies for Ray Liotta
    CBS pulls plug on ‘Smith,’ making crime drama first fall show to get ax
    The Associated Press

Updated: 2:58 p.m. ET Oct. 6, 2006

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15159165/

NEW YORK - Here’s something Ray Liotta won’t be putting on their resumes: stars of the first new TV show to bite the dust this fall.

“Smith,” the Tuesday night CBS drama with Liotta leading a band of high-stakes thieves, is off the schedule, the network said Friday. It will be replaced temporarily by reruns of “CSI: Crime Scene Investigation” and “Criminal Minds.”

[...]

2. Oct 6, 2006 #2 of 38
    MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    so will it finish out the season? cause I LOVE this show!!!

Ray Liotta, Amy Smart, great show!

3. Oct 6, 2006 #3 of 38
    terpfan1980

terpfan1980 It's Just TV TCF Club

Jan 28, 2002
    Xbox Live:...
    I thought the show was ok, but I dropped the SP on it after the second episode was recorded strictly over my frustration with CBS handling of football over-runs (along with eliminating a few other CBS programs from my season pass list).

I wish I had picked this one in the BrilliantButCancelled death pool, but oh well. I'll have to get the next one right.

(The poor folks that have picked against Kidnapped and Happy Hour have to keep waiting as those shows aren't officially dead and are instead considered in comas.)

4. Oct 6, 2006 #4 of 38
    wmm_16

wmm_16 New Member

Jul 10, 2003
    sioux falls, sd
    Crap! I like this show.

5. Oct 6, 2006 #5 of 38
    Lee L

Lee L Got Basenji?

Oct 1, 2003
    Morrisville, NC
    Well, I guess I have no reason to go watch teh 3 episodes I have in my NPL then. ;)

6. Oct 6, 2006 #6 of 38
    classicX

classicX Don't scream.

May 10, 2006
    Miles away...
    durn. I liked this show. But then again, I liked Thief also, which was the same type of show, and also got cancelled.

This is why I hate serialized shows like this, it's hard for new viewers to get into, so they judge them based on the premiere.

The most successful shows are ones that start off as standalone episodes, but become serialized over time, giving the show time to build an audience. (i.e. Smallville)

7. Oct 6, 2006 #7 of 38
    jlb

jlb NCC-1701-D

Dec 13, 2001
    Newburyport, MA
    +1

8. Oct 6, 2006 #8 of 38
    Sadara

Sadara huh?

Sep 27, 2006
    Wichita, KS
    I've watched it up till now, will continue to if they decide to clean up the story line for us. I'm a little disappointed, but I can live without this show.

9. Oct 6, 2006 #9 of 38
    jschuur

jschuur TV-holic, improving

Nov 27, 2002
    London, UK
    I liked Thief, liked Heist, liked Smith, but I held off watching the last episode until more news about the show's fate came out.

I won't miss it terribly, but would have kept watching it.

10. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Dang, I must have missed the Sunday night episode that ran over because of football...

11. terpfan1980

Jan 28, 2002
    I stated it clearly enough to get the point across. If CBS doesn't care enough about my viewing habits and convenience, then why should I be concerned about any of their shows? Smith became a casualty to me after twice getting burned on Amazing Race.

Along the way I also nuked SPs for TAR, Numb3rs, The Unit and some other CBS shows. Granted, those shows don't all air on Sunday nights, but again, I'm not gonna reward CBS with viewers for shows on other nites when I'm pretty pissed at them for their Sunday night hijinks. :mad:

12. phox_mulder

phox_mulder I get paid 2watch TV

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...
    Looks like it's dead-dead.

They've already killed next week's airing (10-10), putting in a repeat of CSI,
    and the next 2 weeks (10-17/10-24) putting in repeats of Criminal Minds.

I'm guessing it will be rotating CSI/CSI:Miami/CSI:NY repeats during November sweeps,
    or maybe a 48 Hours Mysteries.

phox

13. laststarfighter

laststarfighter New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Sacramento, CA
    You guys need to move to the West Coast. :p

14. MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    freaking ridiculous!!! such a great show!!!!

They most likely have already filmed at least some other episodes right? can't they air them at like 1 am or something!?!?!?!

15. dimented

dimented Comfortably Numb TCF Club

May 21, 2003
    Somewhere...
    That is what I hate when they cancel these shows so early. Some of us are interested in it. The least they could do is burn off the remaining shows they already have in the can.

16. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    But that strategy seems to be exactly the opposite of sensible. If we don't watch their Sunday shows, then they will notice that they're losing viewers on Sunday, and maybe they should do something about it. If we stop watching all their shows, then they have no clue what they're doing wrong.

17. TIVOSciolist

TIVOSciolist Bye to High Society

Oct 13, 2003
    Oakland,...
    So who won the betting pool?

18. pmyers

pmyers Active Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    wow....after only 3 episodes? I thought it was pretty good.

19. terpfan1980

Jan 28, 2002
    Given the fuss here and in other places I'm pretty sure they know what they're doing wrong but just don't care.

That being the case, I don't care about their mediocre efforts at entertaining me. There are other choices for similar programming and I'll take advantage of that.

Am I sad that shows that I might have liked lose viewers and potentially wind up cancelled (as happened with Smith)? Perhaps, but I'm not worried enough about that many shows on the CBS slate to shed any tears.

20. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    So, basically you have issues that go beyond Sunday football and CBS.

OK, glad we cleared that up!