1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CBS Colorized I Love Lucy Christmas Special

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Generic, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Generic

Generic Now in Dolby Digital

Dec 26, 2005
    SoCal
  2. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    BOOO for colorized shows.

3. Hot4Bo

Hot4Bo Finally an Avatar! TCF Club

Apr 3, 2003
    South Florida
    I don't like them either but I'll watch this because I do love that episode.

4. GoPackGo

GoPackGo Active Member

Dec 28, 2012
    Meh. If you don't like the colorization, turn down the color on your TV :)

5. gchance

gchance 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 6, 2002
    Olivehurst, CA
    Did they pillar-box it too?

Greg

6. TonyD79

TonyD79 Active Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    We did that one year that the only Miracle on 34th Street was in color on TV.

I won't mind the color on a sitcom Christmas show, though.

7. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Meh. I don't get the point (well I guess I do, people will be curious and want to watch). I Love Lucy in color just doesn't seem right.

8. panictivo

panictivo Registered Fool

Mar 3, 2001
    Arden...
    I am waiting until I can see it in IMAX 3D.

9. waynomo

waynomo My One Time TCF Club

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    Thanks for the heads up. I set up the recording on TiVo. I never tried to setup a recording 2 months in advance before. I wasn't sure you could do it.

And not a fan of colorization, but keeping an open mind.

10. spartanstew

spartanstew Thanks 4 the Update

Feb 23, 2002
    Wylie, Texas
    I don't mind colorization. Some things were made for B&W, for sure, but a lot of B&W is only in B&W because color wasn't available/was too expensive. I'm pretty sure it wasn't a style choice for I love Lucy. Bring it on.

11. Peter000

Peter000 Active Member TCF Club

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    Agreed! Looking forward to this!

12. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    in later years, other shows transitioned from b&w to color (bewitched).

ill was before my time, and i grew up watching other lucy shows in color. if i watched the special, and didn't know ahead of time, i would have probably thought these were episodes produced during the transition. :)

13. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Active Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    Colorized shows are nowhere near as good as the original black and white. The color never looks natural and tends to bleed across the image borders. It looks like a small child used a coloring book and couldn't stay inside the lines.

Ted Turner started this fiasco of colorization back when he purchased the library of one of the major studios many years ago (I forget which). Back in the days of B&W film, directors used lighting for better effects to create the mood. Colorizing the film destroys what the director originally intended.

The only reason studios colorize films is because the current generation turns their nose up at B&W movies and TV shows because they think they're lame or some other such nonsense. Kids today just can't appreciate true art.

14. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Active Member

Dec 26, 2000
  15. mrdbdigital

mrdbdigital The TBS Archives TCF Club

Feb 2, 2004
    Moultrie, GA
    It was MGM Studios. I was working for Ted at the time. We all thought he was nuts to stick his neck out so far financially at the time. But, what did we know? We were just concerned with our paychecks. :)

Ted had some very creative financial "wizards" behind him. I remember that when the company was putting all its' assets and cash flow into building CNN, the accountants told us they were making payroll with the profits from the literally millions of Slim Whitman albums we were selling on SuperStation17.

Ted did love to colorize old movies. His favorite was Casablanca.

16. GoPackGo

GoPackGo Active Member

Dec 28, 2012
    In the old days, sure. I'm interested to see how this looks now though with modern digital techniques.

17. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    the story says that care was taken to maintain a "vintage" feel to the reproduction. i'm looking forward to the airing.

18. jamesl

jamesl Member

Jul 12, 2012
  19. waynomo

waynomo My One Time TCF Club

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    I think there is a huge difference between a B & W movie directed by a masterful craftsman and B & W TV shows and especially comedies like I Love Lucy. There was no subtlety of lighting or shadows. Pretty much they wanted everything lit brightly for the primitive TV equipment both on the production side and the viewer side.

I'm actually interested to see how it is. I haven't seen anything colorized in probably 15 years. I would hope that the process has advanced along with the technology available. Yes, some of the early stuff they did was pretty much unwatchable. I'm expecting this to be much better.

But, yeah, I couldn't watch Casablanca, or It's a Wonderful Life, or Citizen Kane in color.

20. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    That's what I'm hoping too, that technology will at least make this watchable. I've actually wanted to take old pictures that I have that are in B&W and colorize them to see how they would come out.

That said, it's really a pointless exercise done for nothing more than a publicity stunt. To make sure this isn't going to happen again, I'll pass on watching this (I generally don't watch Christmas specials anyway, at least not since my daughter became too old for Rudolph).