1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CBS acquires Thursday Night Football package

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by WhiskeyTango, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Feb 5, 2014 #1 of 18
    WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    As if they weren't killing the competition enough on Thursday's with The Big Bang Theory, they decided to take it up a notch.

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/cbs-acquires-thursday-night-nfl-package

2. Feb 5, 2014 #2 of 18
    dtle

dtle Active Member

Dec 12, 2001
    Philly, PA
    What a tease!! We get to watch the first half of the season, and just as we get acclimate to it, it's gone. (Unless you pay $$ for NFL Network, currently $15/mo Comcast upgrade package here.)

3. Feb 5, 2014 #3 of 18
    lambertman

lambertman To see you, Nice

Dec 20, 2002
    Indianapolis...
    Is it not better than what you had before?

4. Feb 5, 2014 #4 of 18
    MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    Yeah, as someone that recently moved and doesn't have the NFL network here, I'll take 1/2 the season no problem

And Thurs night games usually suck!

5. Feb 5, 2014 #5 of 18
    Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    It will be interesting to see if the NFL games, especially if the games are not compelling, rate better than The Big Bang Theory.

Perhaps this says this in the link, I didn't read it, but to me this smacks of CBS trying to protect their Thursday night lineup by guaranteeing that nothing strong, like the NFL is up against it. Do they move TBBT to another night?

6. Feb 5, 2014 #6 of 18
    Gregor

Gregor Active Member

Feb 18, 2002
    TBBT at 8, the game at 8:40 or so.

7. Feb 5, 2014 #7 of 18
    Neenahboy

Neenahboy Statistical outlier TCF Club

Apr 7, 2004
    Arlington, VA
    The initial thought among critics is that they'll move TBBT to Monday next season to stave off any post-HIMYM decline.

8. Feb 5, 2014 #8 of 18
    mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Maybe that's the prevailing view, but I thought this was a convincing counterpoint:
    http://m.hollywoodreporter.com/entry/view/id/35364

Plus, maybe we'll have 8 weeks where Bill Prady doesn't have to tweet "We make 22 episodes a year, there are 52 weeks in a year, there are going to be reruns".

ok, he didn't say that exactly, and what he did say was probably more concise.. but he's said things to that effect.

9. bengalfreak

bengalfreak Active Member

Oct 20, 2002
    www.atdhenet.tv

10. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
  11. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    I noticed this past season that even though I don't pay for NFLN, and even though the channel is blacked out most of the time, I could still get the channel during the games on Thursday nights.

I have no idea what's up with that.

12. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Did you try that for every Thursday game, or just one or two. It's possible that there were games involving your in-market team where the feed was unencrypted because it was also being simulcast on a local broadcast station.

13. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    I didn't check every game, but I'm somewhat certain it wasn't only local market games.

14. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    This can't fare well for Parks and Rec and Community. :(

15. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Both those shows were already getting killed by what was on CBS anyway, so it's not likely to make much difference. And while we know P&R is renewed, we don't yet know whether Community will be back or not.

But the prevailing thought is that the other broadcast nets may air reruns, or throw some other shows against the CBS NFL games as cannon fodder, and then save the shows they actually care about to start later in the fall. Especially since they have to air about 17 weeks of reruns or other content anyway, this 8 weeks could just give them an excuse to start their seasons later and have fewer in-season breaks after that.

16. jar-head

jar-head New Member

Mar 28, 2006
    I noticed this as well.

17. lambertman

lambertman To see you, Nice

Dec 20, 2002
    Indianapolis...
    Third season of "The Taste", anybody? :)

18. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    As much as people (claim to) hate reality shows, one of the major networks should do something like cable did with "Undercover Boss: Abroad" a few years ago. Basically, just show the foreign versions to us in the U.S.

Instead of reruns of the 'main' shows, show some foreign (but yes, admittedly, likely originally in English so will require _limited_ subtitling) reality shows. Even not English, I'd love to see the original show Survivor was based upon, though I realize it's nothing like what Survivor has become.