1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cat5 or coax

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by timchi29, Jan 8, 2017.

1. timchi29

timchi29 Member

Feb 25, 2005
    I purchased a new mini for the family room (already have one in bedroom via coax) and have the option of cat5 or coax? What is recommended? The mini with coax drops occasionally, but have no idea what that's about.
    Thanks
    Tim

2. krkaufman

krkaufman Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2003
    IMO, the answer depends, first, on how many DVRs you have and how they're connected, via Ethernet or MoCA(coax).

And then, even if all the DVRs are networked via MoCA, I'd be hesitant to recommend a MoCA connection for your new Mini, with an Ethernet connection available, if the recurring MoCA "drops" aren't addressed. If you want help troubleshooting the MoCA issue, you'll find TCF a helpful place, fed enough information.

3. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    I would do whatever is cheaper and easier. A/V performance will be the same either way. Pulling cat5 into the room opens up more LAN connection possibilities should you decide to add more devices in the future. I would say most Moca users don't have much choice. You're lucky that you can do both.

4. krkaufman

krkaufman Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2003
    From a bandwidth standpoint I doubt they'd notice much of any difference, but the "TiVo whole home" uptime may be affected by how the MoCA network is created and how things are wired.

5. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Well-Known Member

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    BRiT wtfdotcom and fcfc2 like this.
  6. alex_h

alex_h New Member

Feb 10, 2004
    Fort...
    I wired my house during the HDirecTivo with OTA via antenna era... I wasn't sure on technology, phone, etc... so my house has something like 4 Cat 5 + 3 Coax (1 Phone, 2 Ethernet, 1 Spare, on Cat 5, and 2 Satellite + 1 OTA) at each location. I've lit up a few of the Ethernet ports...

7. Sparky1234

Sparky1234 Member

May 8, 2006
    Cat 6 with 1GhZ connectors, hubs, routers, etc., for future proofing. Mine works great!