1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Castle - Swan Song - OAD 11/12/12

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by scooterboy, Nov 14, 2012.

1. scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    This was the first episode of Castle that I actually disliked. The whole "they act stupid because a documentary is being filmed" gimmick was annoying, and it just didn't work.

2. Polcamilla

Polcamilla -b±√(b^2 - 4ac)/2a

Nov 7, 2001
    The wham was good.

3. murgatroyd

murgatroyd Don't stop believin'

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    Ugh, what a crap episode.

4. BrettStah

BrettStah Well-Known Member TCF Club

Nov 12, 2000
    San Antonio
    We liked it!

5. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    It was just OK for me. The biggest issue I had with it was that they didn't actually film it documentary style. They still used tons of perfectly lit, perfectly framed camera angles, just like they always do. They should have given the camera crew 3 cameras and steadicam harnesses, and told them to film it as if it were live. Additionally, we should have seen the occasional boom mic guy, lighting operator, or camera guy accidentally get into the frame, like what would really happen if this were filmed live.

Since the gimmick of it being a documentary felt completely false to me, the rest of the episode felt rather flat (and frankly, kind of annoying).

Hopefully, this is the last gimmicky episode they do in a while. I enjoy an occasional gimmick episode on this show, but I'm ready to get back to a typical episode.

6. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I stopped watching about ten minutes in.

First time ever. Hopefully last.

7. matt@thehickmans

matt@thehickmans Hemo_jr

Jan 8, 2008
    Odd because it worked to perfection for me. As far as I'm concerned, they hit a home run with the comedy of this episode

8. BrettStah

BrettStah Well-Known Member TCF Club

Nov 12, 2000
    San Antonio
    Yep, I loved Esposito showing off for the cameras.

9. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    There was some funny in here. My main problem was not enough Beckett and Castle. Plus no Castle home life which I always enjoy.

The Wham was good and there was another one that was funny but of course I forget now. I agree Esposito was fun, and Lanie vamping and showing off her cleavage made me laugh as well.

The mystery was kind of lame (I knew from the first minute the bass player was on the stage, even before we knew who was dead, that he was the guy) but most Castle mysteries are not brain teasers. I did like the stalker turning out to be the girl's dad; that was a nice change-up.

10. murgatroyd

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    I think you hit it right on the nail here.

If they had actually filmed it as you said, I might have bought into the hideous show-off-for-the-cameras schtick, but since the camerawork was the same as always, the acting just came off as being hideously off-the-top.

It's one thing when the show hits a writerly false note (like Castle signing his book jackets -- please, what writer does that?), because it's just a single moment, and the moment passes. It's easy to just wince at it and then go on with the episode.

But in this case, the false note is not just one moment, but pretty much the entire episode.

11. eddyj

eddyj Señor Member TCF Club

Jun 20, 2002
    South Florida
    I would have HATED it in "documentary style". Much rather they did it as they did.

12. TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    Didn't they do a gimic show last year too that fell flat?? Didn't stand out for me, cuz I can't remember it, maybe like "the office"??

13. Polcamilla

Polcamilla -b±√(b^2 - 4ac)/2a

Nov 7, 2001
    Yeah....I kept laughing at the fact that it was supposed to be from the cameraman's perspective and then they'd do a couple quick cuts in succession to show a couple different angles on Castle's face during a single line of dialogue.

In short....it was regular filming, but with the oh-so-enriching addition of shakey-cam. Shakey-cam makes me horribly motion sick and triggers Post-Cloverfield Stress Disorder.

....and there definitely wasn't enough Castle/Beckett time.

14. murgatroyd

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    Well, then, that's a sign to me that it's a rotten idea, and they should have tossed the script into the trash can.

15. eddyj

Jun 20, 2002
    South Florida
    I enjoyed the episode. I thought the antics in front of the camera were quite in character, for the most part.

16. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Maybe you are thinking of a different show. "Leverage" did an homage to "The Office" last season, and it was quite cringe-worthy.

17. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    If they're going to pretend the episode is being filmed as a documentary, then actually do it as a documentary.

To say they're filming it as a documentary, but film it exactly the same way they always do is stupid.

18. eddyj

Jun 20, 2002
    South Florida
    But they were not showing a documentary, they were showing how the people acted when they were being filmed for a documentary. So there is no reason for that to be shown as a documentary. :p

19. TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas

Yes, thank you, and it was.

20. scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    This.

I didn't so much mind that the filming of a documentary was a part of the storyline (or that some of the episode was shown from the documentary cameras' POV). I just think the characters acted stupidly and unrealistically over-the-top. That's what made the episode annoying (to me).