1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Castle S06E01

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by milo99, Sep 24, 2013.

1. milo99

milo99 Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Falls...
    Well, i'm glad that in Beckett's reaction to the proposal she was surprised because "he was so serious", which was my thinking, that it was a weird looking proposal.

i also liked how they talked a bit before she accepted, seemed more realistic to me than typical hollywood. but what didn't make sense was that he'd still be in NY. If it's a temp gig in DC, i could understand that, but i would think he'd have moved down there with her. Unless that's in the plan but they just haven't expressed it.

anyway, overall not a bad episode. the one thing though that i'm not sure i like is the "cliffhanger" at the end. i mean, really. the main character of the show is not going to die. we all know this. so it's just a matter of a "how" they'll get him out of it. Which is something that kind of takes away from the cliffhanger. There's no real threat to the character, we KNOW he's not going to die, so why bother? a cliffhanger should have the threat of something that could realistically happen.

Similarly, the Beckett standing on a bomb episode - you know she wasn't going to die, so it kind of took away from the drama. it allowed them to advance their relationship by his actions, but still, you knew there was no threat to her actually dying. Now if Ryan or Espo were on that bomb, you never know, the writers may be brave enough to kill them off, they killed the old Captain, so THAT would have had some tension.... anyway...

2. pendragn

pendragn Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2001
    Ames Iowa
    It's not about the destination, it's about the journey. The storytelling is as important as what happens at the end. Titanic was a hugely successfully movie and every single person that saw it knew how it ended. Apollo 13 is the same way. Just because you know how it ends doesn't mean it's not entertaining to watch.

I thought the episode was okay. Pretty classic Castle except the board was at the Feds instead of NYPD. For me it was frustrating because we know that in three or four episodes Beckett will end up back at NYPD and that all this Fed stuff is just filler.

tk

3. milo99

milo99 Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Falls...
    i get that, and like i said, the story was advanced on the Beckett on a bomb ep., but the titanic example is not quite the same as what i'm talking about. For example, in Titanic, the guy died, you didn't know that in advance. There was no real anxiety about whether or not the ship was going to hit the iceberg - that wasn't the tension. the tension was who would survive and how.

Apollo 13 was probably a closer analogy, but yet, you knew that going in. you knew there was going to be a story about how they survived that particular circumstance. They had small obstacles that we didn't know if and how each was going to be surmounted. We knew the general story, but not the stuff in between.

but with these episodes, the threw out these events that are supposed to be twists, and to create tension, but yet it doesn't create the tension because we know it will work out in the end, just not how they get there. so it just kind of leaves a little missing. like if Alexis' life or his mom's life is in danger, that's legitimate tension because we don't know if they may be killed off. most likely not, but there's a chance.

that's all i'm saying.

4. Lori

Lori Social Defective TCF Club

Feb 20, 2000
    Bowie, MD USA
    I thought that it was rude to have a two-parter kick off the season. Seriously? :)

5. jgickler

jgickler Mr. Rolleyes

Apr 7, 2000
    Princeton, Iowa
    I completely agree with the cliffhanger being silly. Castle will not die, so why make the cliffhanger "will Castle die"? If would be like ending a Charlie Brown cartoon with a cliffhanger of whether or not Lucy will pull the football away at the last minute. That is not a cliffhanger, it is more like a first floor window hanger. Other then that, I thought it was a decent episode, but I just hope they don't spend too much time with the DC thing. Once case, I can buy that Castle gets mixed up in things, but if it goes farther then this, it starts to get extremely unbelievable. I did like Cuddy as the partner and the episode was very in character for the show.

6. Honora

Honora Member

Oct 16, 2006
    You weren't paying attention. The caption for the transition after the proposal said that it was 2 months later. Then we find out from the conversation between Castle & Mom that he's been on a book signing tour for 6 weeks. And Kate's been in training, so they've had no time to make any plans.

7. milo99

milo99 Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Falls...
    i caught that, i just thought that the book tour was something he did as a way to keep busy since he no longer has the NYPD gig and she's out of town. if that's the cause of him not moving, ok... but i would have expected them to say something like, "now that i'm done with the book tour, i can look at moving down" or anything to that effect. That's what seemed weird to me.

8. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Well-Known Member

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    I hate two parters.

9. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    Only things worse than two-parters are seasons that are 13-parters or 22-parters. :)

10. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    I wouldn't expect Castle to just move out of his home and down to Arlington after just two months, regardless whether he's engaged or not. I think that's rather unrealistically fast. I get that living arrangements would have to be worked out eventually, but not quite that quickly.

Plus, if/when he were to move, he probably wouldn't just keep his multi-million dollar flat in Midtown Soho; he'd probably sell that, which isn't something you just do. Also, that would mean finding someplace else for Martha and Alexis to live. (I know Alexis is living in the dorms in college, but she still seems to visit enough that I'd consider her still living at home at least part time.)

11. milo99

milo99 Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Falls...
    i agree with all of that, i just wish they would have mentioned that they were thinking of it, even in passing. it just doesn't seem to be on their radar at all.. you know?

12. john4200

john4200 Active Member

Oct 31, 2009
    It seems you were not paying attention. Castle's west coast book tour was "12 cities in 11 days". He does say to Kate that they have not seen each other in "6 weeks", but he does not say that he was on a 6 week book tour.

13. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Well-Known Member

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    Since Kate has a place in DC there isn't any reason why he cant stay there when he is in DC and she can stay at his place in NY when she visits. However, with the money he makes there isn't any reason why he can't get another place in DC. He already has a place in the Hamptons that he doesn't use so he could sell that if needed.

14. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Well, if Castle and Beckett get married in the next 24 hours and then he dies, the show can be about her adventures as a fed and still be called Castle. :D

15. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I'm guessing she's back to NYC within several episodes. Seems weird to make it long distance for a significant period of time. (Hmm, they're farther away than I thought.. "nyc to dc" in maps.google.com says 226 miles by driving.. Lots of other shows seem to make it sound like a quick jaunt... though maybe I'm confusing it with DC to Philly, which is 97 miles, according to the same source.)

16. Flop

Flop Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Oklahoma
    It's 3-4 hours by train from Penn Station in Manhattan to Union Station in DC.

17. Fl_Gulfer

Fl_Gulfer Tivo's R Us

May 27, 2005
    Fl.Gulf
    and lets not forget Castle's Father...

18. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    I was waiting for the feds to see how much of a help he is that they offer him a job. Or maybe he talks to someone about a new book he is writing about federal cases and needs to do research on...

19. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Or he gets her into so much trouble with his butting in that she gets fired. :D

Seriously, though, they have to end up back in New York, and sooner rather than later. Too much of the show (and its cast) is set there.

20. Martha

Martha Member

Oct 6, 2002
    South Carolina
    Or they just stick her in the FBI field office in NY.