1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't see movies on ReadyNAS

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by phydeauxman, Jan 28, 2013.

1. phydeauxman

phydeauxman New Member

Jan 17, 2013
    Harpers...
    I have just switched to Comcast and TiVo from DirecTV and was excited to learn about the value add I was getting because of the partnership formed between TiVo and Netgear to integrate TiVo with ReadyDLNA devices. I enabled the TiVo feature on my ReadyNAS Pro and entered my TiVo Media Access Key. I now see the ReadyNAS as an option on the TiVo and can see the folders for each movie on the ReadyNAS but I don't see any files in the folders. Based on past experiences, I believe it is something to do with permissions...just not sure where to change that or what to change it to.

2. jcthorne

jcthorne Active Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    In what format are the files? The ReadyNAS does no file conversion, it only presents the files it has so they must be Tivo compatible as stored on the NAS.

3. Impulse0022

Impulse0022 New Member

Aug 14, 2010
  4. phydeauxman

phydeauxman New Member

Jan 17, 2013
    Harpers...
    That must be what the issue. All of my movies are WMV. I will need to convert them I guess for them to show up.

5. mlippert

mlippert Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Massachusetts
    The only format I've seen work on my ReadyNAS is mpeg-2 (usually .mpg extension).

if you have the ffmpeg utility available you might try the following which has worked for me (I'm not sure if it can convert wmv files or not though, I was converting avi files).

Code:
    ffmpeg -y -i "$input" -target ntsc-dvd -acodec copy -async 1 -aspect 16:9 -qmin 2 -qmax 9 -qscale 1 -sameq "$output"
    $input should be the input file name (e.g. movie.avi) and $output the output filename (e.g. movie.mpg)

This produced an mpeg-2 file which the TiVo could fast-forward and rewind, I had created others where the TiVo would play the file but couldn't navigate it.

6. jcthorne

jcthorne Active Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    You could run pytivo rather than the ReadyNAS built in tivo server......

7. phydeauxman

phydeauxman New Member

Jan 17, 2013
    Harpers...
    Yeah, but wouldn't I need to have that always running on a computer on my network? Was trying to get away from having a solution like that if possible.

8. jcthorne

jcthorne Active Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    pytivo runs fine on many linux based NAS boxes.

9. phydeauxman

phydeauxman New Member

Jan 17, 2013
    Harpers...
    Yeah, I don't think I am going to be able to get that installed on my Netgear NAS unless it shows up as an Addon in their interface...and it does not.