1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't record from cable box, only records channel 3

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Dendawg, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Dendawg

Dendawg New Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Hey All,
    I just bought a Tivo Premiere for the sole purpose of recording the AMC programs I lost when Dish had their hissy fit over AMC and dropped them. I have Suddenlink Basic....they won't give me a cablecard unless I upgrade to Expanded Basic, but I discovered using the SL Digitalink converter I can pull in expanded Basic as well without having to subscribe to it. My problem is I can watch AMC (when tuned on the converter) on channel 3.........but when I try to record it all I get is what is broadcasting on channel 3 at that time and nothing from AMC. Is there a way to get around this :confused:: ....I tried rescanning the channels but it still doesn't recognize the converter box? Thanks!

2. lillevig

lillevig Hot in West Texas

Dec 6, 2010
    San Angelo, TX
    How is the converter box connected to the Tivo and what is the Tivo set up for inputs?

3. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    The Premiere cannot use a cable/converter box, nor can it control it to change channels. The only way is to get a cable card, or you are stuck with QAM and analog channels with no digital.

The Premiere would try to change channels but all it gets is nothing. Plus, you would not have the dual tuner ability.

An alternative is to return the Premiere and get a Series 2, which will accept the cable/converter box and it has the ability to change channels, albeit it would be slower.

4. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    There is only 1 way the cable/converter box is connected and that is through the coax input of the Premiere, since there is no other inputs available, but coax.

5. L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    You mean you're feeding the RF (coax) output of your converter box to the input of the TiVo and setting the TiVo to record NTSC (analog) channel 3, right? I doubt that your converter box has an ATSC (digital) encoder.

6. Dendawg

Dendawg New Member

Jul 27, 2012
    My converter is just a small box suddenlink gives away to convert digital to analog (but it still enables me to get expanded basic thru it). I have this box plugged in to Tivo and the box is tuned to AMC, I have Tivo tuned to channel 3 in order to watch what is coming out of the cable box. Everything is looking hunky dory I am watching AMC on the TIVO and go ahead and record what I am watching. Now the problem is when I play back I did not record what I was watching but rather what was being broadcast locally on channel 3 at that time. Is there a way to overide the Tivo from choosing the broadcast feed and choose instead what the cablebox is tuned too?

7. ajwees41

ajwees41 Active Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE
    what do you get if don't use the suddenlink box? anything the Premieres don't work with DTA's, but do work with SDV adaptors. you need a cable card.

8. lillevig

lillevig Hot in West Texas

Dec 6, 2010
    San Angelo, TX
    I'm somewhat surprised that you can get the analog versions of the Expanded Basic using the Suddenlink box without paying for the service. That's a mistake on their part. If you just want the regular Basic you should be able to just plug the cable directly into the Premiere and use it to tune the channels and get the appropriate Guide Data. I've done that with Suddenlink and a Premiere prior to getting a CableCard.