1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't get 4:3 Aspect Ratio to Auto Letterbox

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by QBiN, Mar 20, 2013.

1. QBiN

QBiN New Member

May 23, 2006
    So... I received my mini today. Setup went smoothly on this old 4:3 RCA Proscan SDTV (480i) via the Tivo composite breakout cable.

Then I noticed the HD menus were squished and so was ALL HD content I was viewing (though downconverted). I was disappointed to find no Aspect Ratio options in the Video settings menu.

I made sure the only resolution I picked was 480i, to no avail.

My older Series3 I used to use on this TV had the benefit of being able to view any HD content from my other Tivo's and would properly letterbox any 16:9 content on the 4:3 display. This mini? Not so much.

I can find no documentation that says they don't support 4:3 TV's. Not to mention, they advertise and sell the composite breakout cable for 480i.

Anyone have a similar experience or know anything about this?

2. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Did you hit the ZOOM button while watching content to cycle between zoom, full, and panel? At least you could with the Premieres.

3. QBiN

QBiN New Member

May 23, 2006
    I did try the zoom button. It works great in "FULL" mode for SD content, but then HD content looks squished regardless of the zoom setting.

It seems as if the Mini is "hard" set to a 16:9 aspect ratio.

Anyone else try a Mini on a 4:3 SDTV?

4. NotNowChief

NotNowChief Addicted to TiVo

Mar 29, 2012
    New York...
    I was going through some settings the other day, and I noticed in the VIDEO settings, there was no 4:3, which I thought was strange. Yes, I know there are still alot of 4:3's out there, but still.

What I found most interesting was the resolution settings. During setup, it autodetected the maximum resolution of the TV. Case in point, I set it up temporarily to test it when I got in my bedroom, on a 720p Sammy plasma. It defaulted to 720p as I went through the setup. When I get my mounting parts from Mono* and set it up in my kitchen on a small 1080i Vizio LED, will it automatically detect and change the max resolution?

5. QBiN

QBiN New Member

May 23, 2006
    It seems to be able to auto-detect over HDMI.

However, there doesn't seem to be any auto-detection on the composite port. The Composite out circuitry appears to downconvert ALL resolutions to 480i over the A/V composite jack, and you will see some sort of picture on the composite port regardless of resolution setting.

Just haven't found a way to tell it I have a 4:3 display.

Anyone from Tivo reading this?!

6. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    On a regular TiVo there is an option for that in the Remote & Devices section of the Settings. Does that option exist on the Mini?

7. QBiN

QBiN New Member

May 23, 2006
    On my Series3 (which was on my old 4:3 SDTV doing exactly what I wanted to do with this Mini) and my Elite, the Aspect Ratio setting is under Settings->Video.

But to answer your question: No. The option is missing in the Video menu or the Remote & Devices menu.

8. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    No, this is not their website.

9. QBiN

QBiN New Member

May 23, 2006
    Thanks. I get that. :rolleyes: But well known Tivo reps have been known to cruise the forums and even respond from time to time.

10. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Well, I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.
    If you haven't already, post your question on the forum that TiVo actually monitors.

http://forums.tivo.com/pe/index.jsp

11. QBiN

QBiN New Member

May 23, 2006
    Yep. Did that too.

12. QBiN

QBiN New Member

May 23, 2006
    Well... Tivo's official support forum is turning out to be a fruitless exercise in trying to get a straight answer out of Level-1 support techs.

http://forums.tivo.com/pe/action/forums/displaythread?rootPostID=11089647&channelID=10&portalPageId=10432560

I think I'm going to call back in and try to get a real support case escalated to engineering/development. It's apparent that support isn't really has no first hand knowledge of the issues and is merely regurgitating the advice that shows up as the closest match in their script.

13. QBiN

QBiN New Member

May 23, 2006
    Update: Looks like support has recreated the issue and no longer thinks I'm a yahoo anymore. Well, they might, but that's besides the point.

They confirmed the lack of a 4:3 aspect ratio option and have confirmed that it is in the roadmap to be fixed in a future update.

14. dsnotgood

dsnotgood New Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The funny thing is...I HAD IT on a 4:3 aspect ratio before with the HD menus but then I restarted the box and that must have installed an update and it broke it. And no...I'm not going crazy. I even posted a thread about it the day the mini came out. And of course it then stopped working.

15. Hrbek14

Hrbek14 New Member

Jun 11, 2013
    Has there been any news regarding this issue? I just got my Mini and have it attached to a 4:3 TV and it's very annoying to look at. I'd really like to be able to adjust the aspect ratio so it knows I have a 4:3 TV.

16. QBiN

QBiN New Member

May 23, 2006
    Good news: Just yesterday, I noticed the Aspect Ratio option is now available in the Settings -> Video menu.

Bad news: Unfortunately, it doesn't appear to work.

After selecting 4:3, the mini informed me that 4:3 ratio is incompatible with HD menus and it would give me the option to select SD menus. After choosing SD menus, the Tivo Mini returned to the main menu with no apparent change. Going back to the Settings -> Video menu shows that I'm still in 16:9 and still set for HD menus. So it looks like the new settings are non-functional at this time.

I've asked for update on the Tivo support site. We'll see what happens.

17. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    What video resolutions do you have checked? Try checking the 720p option if it's not and see if that makes a difference.

18. QBiN

QBiN New Member

May 23, 2006
    Forgive me, but how would checking 720p for my 480i SD TV help any? At the moment, I only have 480i checked because that's all this CRT supports.

19. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    The analog port is always 480i so that doesn't matter. But I think checking the 720p option might trick the software into allowing you to select 4:3

20. QBiN

QBiN New Member

May 23, 2006
    So I tried that. No luck. Every time I go through the routine of picking 4:3, then picking the SD menus in the following prompts, it just plops me back at the main menu with no change having taken effect. Yay.

Maybe the Dev team is just toying with me. "We'll put the feature in the UI, but it won't actually do anything." Grrr...