1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't connect at hotel

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by occraig, Sep 22, 2013.

1. occraig

occraig New Member

Jul 8, 2007
    I am trying to get my tivo to connect using the wifi at the hotel I am at and it wont work. My laptop and my iphone work just fine on their wifi. I am able to program it to the wifi it offers here but when i hit the "connect to service now" it keeps giving me an error. I think its because there is a "connect page" i have to hit the agree button on. I tried connecting my laptop to the tivo and still got the same error message. It says "failed while negotiation". If I use my laptop do I need a router between the laptop and tivo or can I connected them both together and share the laptop internet?
    any advice?

I have a TiVo Premiere with a TiVo AG0100 Wireless Adapter and my laptop is using windows 8

Also I dont want to talk about my personal life so please do not mention slingbox

2. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    You need a travel router that lets you share a single connection to the hotel's WiFi. You connect first using a tablet or laptop, go through the authorization page, and after that you can connect other devices such as your TiVo. There are many, many choices. I have a couple from D-Link (DIR-505 and DIR-506L) that work well enough, Asus has some, there are others.

3. squint

squint New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    It might be possible to connect to the wireless with the laptop and deal with the authorization then share the connection. In essence, the laptop acts as a router and the Tivo wireless connects to it. Or connect the Tivo to the laptop with an Ethernet cable (it might have to be a crossover cable though).

4. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    No Tivo with an ethernet port would require a crossover cable for any reason.

5. occraig

occraig New Member

Jul 8, 2007
    I just got my netgear wgr614 today and now the tivo error is saying "please make sure your firewall is not set to block UDP ports 37 or 123 or TCP ports 37, 80, 443, 5005, 5222, 5233,7287, 7288, 8000, or 8080-8089

I tried to sign in the see how my router is configured and the page is gone now. http://www.routerlogin.net or http://192.168.0.1

I turned off the firewall in norton 360 and am sharing the internet from this hotel

uggg do I need to get a newer router now?

6. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    The hotel probably blocks those ports. Nothing you can do about it.

7. occraig

occraig New Member

Jul 8, 2007
    :(

8. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    It's very common in such situations for "non-standard" ports to be blocked.