1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cannot disconnect Expander

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by raynite, Mar 22, 2013.

1. raynite

raynite New Member

Mar 22, 2013
    I have a Tivo HD and have been using a 1TB WD Expander with it with no trouble for about a year. I recently moved and no longer need my Tivo. I was planning on giving my Tivo to a friend but keeping the Expander. I deleted everything off of the Tivo and Expander with no trouble. I then completely disconnected the Expander and restarted the Tivo. When it gets to the blue "expander is missing" screen, I hit "clear" but nothing happens. I have restarted numerous times. Called Tivo and tried several different options, including the kickstart, but nothing will get me past this screen. The kickstart would not work.

If I plug the expander back in, then the Tivo works fine. But as soon as I disconnect it, I get stuck on the same blue screen. Any thoughts?

2. bshrock

bshrock New Member

Jan 6, 2012
    Next you should get the WARNING screen asking for the 3 Thumb downs + enter. If I recall t may take a few minutes (I'm not going to try)
    Wait 30 minutes then try the 3 Thumb down then press the "Enter" key.

Permanently Removing the DVR Expander