1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cancelling Directv - Watching Shows on THR22

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Alan P, May 2, 2014.

1. May 2, 2014 #1 of 11
    Alan P

Alan P New Member

May 15, 2002
    I'm thinking about cancelling D* (after 20+ years!) and going with a local cable company that is offering me pretty much the same channel lineup and a Premeire Q/4 for slightly less than I'm currentlly paying D* (significantly less for the first 12 months).

My question is, how long before D* will want their THR22 back, and can I watch the shows I have stockpiled without D* service??

If I can't, or they want it shipped back the day I cancel, I'll probably keep both services for one month so the new Tivo can get full up with my wife's favorite shows while she clears out the THR22. :)

2. May 2, 2014 #2 of 11
    stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    No, you can't watch shows without service on the THR22. They will probably want it back immediately.

3. May 2, 2014 #3 of 11
    Alan P

Alan P New Member

May 15, 2002
    OK, thanks Steve.

Do you see any issues (like, will my cable company wanting to use the existing D* cable runs) with running both services for a month? I haven't had cable in over 20 years, so what do I know!

The point may be moot though if I can get my wife to just catch up on her important shows before we switch. :)

4. May 2, 2014 #4 of 11
    Alan P

Alan P New Member

May 15, 2002
    Also, if anyone has experience with both the THR22 and Premiere Q, are they even in the same league?

I'm guessing the Premiere is miles ahead from what I've read online.

5. May 2, 2014 #5 of 11
    eboydog

eboydog Just TiVo'ing.....

Mar 23, 2006
    What cable company is offering you Premiere Q? I ask because don't take it for granted that you are get all the retail options of the retail Tivo premiere just because the cable company is offering it. My CC (Mediacom) offers it and they take all the Tivo To Go options including disabling the ethernet ports and not allowing retail Tivo products to work with them.

The Mediacom Tivo is not much that different than the Directv Tivo other than running the newer Tivo OS.

You might be better off buying a Roamio basic 4 tuner and renting a cable card if you want a real Tivo.

6. May 3, 2014 #6 of 11
    TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006
    Cable companies are REQUIRED to disable certain services if they offer them to the public. When I worked for a relatively small cable company, we offered the Premiere and for example, after a few months, we were told, by Starz I think it was, among others, that we had to remove Netflix or they would not provide the service any more.

The Premiere, even slightly disabled, was far superior to the Motorola box we offered and at the same rental, too!

7. Alan P

Alan P New Member

May 15, 2002
    I am getting the Tivo from Midcontinent.

http://www.midcocomm.com/video/tivo/

And, according to this, it does everything the Premiere does except for Netflix (which is fine, I have other ways of streaming Netflix). Although, it doesn't say anything about Tivo To Go.

http://www3-stg.tivo.com/products/tivo-walkthrough/tv-source/cable/tivo-midcontinent/

The charge for the Tivo lease and the Tivo service is only an extra $18 a month through Midco....do you still think I would be better served with a Raomio?

Apparently, my area is one of the first in the country to get this through Midco....I'm surprised at this because I basically live in the sticks. :)

8. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    How much is CableCARD rental & will this be your only cable box?

9. Alan P

Alan P New Member

May 15, 2002
    I have no idea on the cable card rental, and I plan on getting the Tivo plus the Stream for my bedroom.

10. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    If you have the TiVo in one place, say the living room, and you want also want to watch on TV in the bedroom, then you need a Mini, not a Stream.

11. Alan P

Alan P New Member

May 15, 2002
    Yeah, that's what I meant...."Mini". :eek: