1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Just a note that the site indexes are still building. Until they are done, anything that uses search will be affected such as normal search, post history, etc. It works from the oldest post first and is building forward in time. We could have waited for it all to be done, but hey, who uses search anyway? :)
    Dismiss Notice

Can you transfer recordings from a TivoHD with a failed power supply?

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by Efranzen, Jun 22, 2012.

1. Efranzen

Efranzen New Member

Jul 27, 2007
    I've got a TivoHD with what I believe to be a failed power supply. It's got no lights on the front and I can't hear or feel the fan running. I've been considering getting a Premier XL4 for awhile now and rather than spend money to replace the power supply I think I'm just going to buy a new Tivo.

I'm wondering if it's possible to transfer my programs off the TivoHD to a Premier XL4. I upgraded the drive in my TivoHD to a 1 TB drive a couple of years ago if that makes any difference.
  2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    You cannot transfer anything unless that specific Tivo is running since its encoded its recordings under the Service number and the Media Access Key.

If you have a Lifetime service, its better to fix the PS than replacing since Tivo will not transfer the Lifetime over to a new Tivo.
  3. unitron

unitron New Member

Apr 28, 2006
    There are several threads around here about S2 and S3 power supplies being susceptable to "capacitor disease".

If you know which end of a soldering gun or iron not to pick it up by, you can probably fix it for under $10 in parts if that is the cause of your problem.

Start by opening it up and disconnecting the hard drive power and data cables (and if you have an external drive turn it off and disconnect the eSATA cable as well).

Then plug it in and see if reducing the amount of current it needs to supply gets you any sign of life.

Report back.
  4. unitron

unitron New Member

Apr 28, 2006

And another thing, go read the $99 lifetime threads.

If you're going to get an S4 of some type, that means you should be able to get lifetime on that S3 for a hundred bucks, which makes it worth fixing or makes it worth buying by someone else who can fix it.