1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you directly swap a hard drive between Roamios?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by kucharsk, Feb 2, 2014.

1. kucharsk

kucharsk New Member

Feb 2, 2007
    I installed a 3 TB drive in my brand new Roamio before finding it had a hardware issue (both the red and blue circles light up every time I record.)

When the replacement unit arrives, if I just swap the drive into the new unit, will my programs, season passes, etc. be retained, or do I need to start from zero again?

Really, the only thing changing will be the unit ID, but I'm asking whether the programs/settings are somehow associated in a way that would confuse the new unit.

2. tatergator1

tatergator1 Active Member

Mar 27, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    Swapping hard drives between units will not preserve settings or recordings. The TiVo Service Number is written to the hard drive when the drive is first formatted. If you boot the drive in another Tivo, it will boot, but will display errors and prevent viewing of any past recordings due to a mis-match of the old TSN with the new TSN if the new box.

Season passes can be saved using the program kmttg. Assuming your cable provider does not use the CCI flag excessively, you could also transfer recordings via kmttg to a conputer , and the back to the new drive.

3. kucharsk

kucharsk New Member

Feb 2, 2007
    Actually I know I can retrieve the season passes from the TiVo web site.

What do I need to do to the drive before moving it? Anything?

4. crobey

crobey New Member

Jan 3, 2002
    So is there a way around this? TiVo replaced my defective roamio and I would like to use my 3Tb drive in the replacement?

5. ej42137

ej42137 Active Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    You can use your 3 TB drive, but you will lose all recordings. The only way I know to preserve then is to copy off to a PC using TiVo Desktop or kmttg. Of course, if your shows are copy protected, you are SOL unless you delay sending the old unit back until you've watched them.

6. bengalfreak

bengalfreak Active Member

Oct 20, 2002
    there is no way to upgrade to a larger hard drive and preserve all of your recording? Really?

7. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Active Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    As mentioned, transfer recordings to another TiVo or PC, not all recordings can be transferred unfortunately.

8. Chuck_IV

Chuck_IV Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Connecticut
    I thought the latest version of MFS Tools would actually allow you to copy the drive with everything on it?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk