1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you copy (or watch) programs from an unsubscribed Premiere?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Mark McM, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Mark McM

Mark McM New Member

Oct 24, 2007
    Hopefully a few quick questions - but first a little context:

I'm getting a Roamio to replace my Premiere. I'll be switching my current service plan over to the Roamio, and unsubscribing the Premiere. However, I have a lot of as-yet unwatched programs on the Premiere that I'd like to transfer to the Roamio.

So the question is: Can I copy programs off an unsubscribed Premiere to a subscribed Roamio?

Follow up question: Some of the programs may be copy protected; if they can't be copied to the Roamio, will I still be able to watch them directly from the unsubscribed Premiere?

If necessary, I can take the Premiere off my home network, so it can't 'phone home' and won't know immediately that it has been unsubscribed. If I do that, can I copy programs to the Roamio by connecting the two units directly with an Ethernet cable? (And does it need to be a cross-over cable?)

Thanks for any advice anyone can give me!

2. dianebrat

dianebrat I refuse to accept your reality TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    An unsubscribed Tivo can not transfer via network, what's on it stays there.
    You can watch anything on the unsubscribed Tivo itself, no matter what the subscription status it.

3. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You should be able to get $99 lifetime on the Premiere when you call to move the sub to a new Tivo, unless its already lifetime. Selling it with lifetime will be worth more than without.

4. Mark McM

Mark McM New Member

Oct 24, 2007
    Thanks or the quick answers! But what about if I take the old Tivo off the network before I move the service to the new Tivo - how long will it be before the old Tivo realizes it's no longer subscribed? If I were to do that, in order to transfer programs off the old Tivo I'd have to connect the two Tivos to each other directly, not through the network - can that be done as simply as connecting them with an Ethernet cable?

5. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    That wont work. They both have to call in at least once after the new one is activated so that they are aware of each other. So there has to be at least some overlap in the service.

TiVo should really allow a grace period on these things so that people have time to copy their shows and SPs to the new unit.

6. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    IF you are able to do this (I am not saying you will be able to), you can connect the two Tivos directly with an Ethernet cable, and it does NOT have to be a crossover.

7. kinggabbo

kinggabbo New Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Are you kidding me???? LOL I just spent a week transferring shows from my TivoHD to Roamio with one hard wired to router and the other wireless. With dismal transfer rates.

This would've sped the rates up considerably!!! Grrrr! Oh well, good to know that info anyway.

8. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    THDs have v-e-r-y slow transfers based upon their hardware. I'm not sure how much speed you would have gained unless you have a extremely slow wireless connection.

9. Feb 1, 2014 #9 of 13
    timlmd

timlmd New Member

Jan 5, 2013
    After you've transferred service over to the Roamio, you can add a new (no commitment) monthly service to the Premiere. Since the new service comes with a 30 day refund policy, as long as you finish transferring shows in that timeframe, you can cancel the new service and get your money back.

10. mpnret

mpnret Member

Dec 4, 2012
    My Roamio is being delivered on Tuesday. I purchased it from TiVo with an AP code and transferred service over from my current XL4. I guess I just assumed when I activated the Roamio there would be a short grace period that would allow me to transfer my shows and season passes. Is that not true?

11. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Not when the old box gets de-activated from Tivo Service. You may be able to get $99 lifetime on it.

12. mpnret

mpnret Member

Dec 4, 2012
    It's not eligible for $99 lifetime and even if it was I wouldn't do it. I don't plan on keeping it and given the recent price drop it no longer makes sense to do it for resale value. If the XL4 loses it service immediately after I switch service to the Roamio I will just put a monthly on the XL4 to allow time to transfer my shows and cancel for a refund before the 30 days. I still find it hard to believe that TiVo will immediately cancel my XL4 service at the time of the swap. I guess I will find out.

13. Mark McM

Mark McM New Member

Oct 24, 2007
    This is what the Tivo CSR suggested when I called to transfer my annual service plan the Roamio. I now have the old Premiere on new monthly service plan, and as long as I cancel it before the 30 day period, the first month's charge will be refunded. It should just take a few days to get the Roamio set up and everything transferred to it from the Premiere, so I'll be cancelling the new service plan when everything is a all settled in a few days.