1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can you adjust OTA recording quality on a Roamio?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by replaytv, Mar 1, 2014.

1. replaytv

replaytv gun talk ignore list

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    Can the recording quality be adjusted on a basic Roamio for OTA like you could on the old Series 2 Tivos? It would have to be connected to a SD TV with a adapted from what I what I understand from the website.

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    No, records as is. You would need to set the output to 480i for the SD TV, and use composite (yellow/white/red).

3. dianebrat

dianebrat I refuse to accept your reality TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    to add to the "why" of why you can't adjust it.
    In the S2 days the Tivo was encoding the video from analog to digital, and you could chose the quality of the encode, thus the quality settings.
    As of the digital era, even in SD, you're just recording the digital stream from the cableco or OTA, there's no encoding happening anymore.

4. replaytv

replaytv gun talk ignore list

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    Sorry, I think you or someone told me that before, but I didn't quite understand, but I do now.

The reason I was asking is a x girl friend of mine has a lifetime Series 3 with a huge hard drive, but she might qualify for the free Premiere or $200 Roamio. But if she did that, then she wouldn't be able to record as much TV without upgrading the hard drive. It would be nice to have 4 tuners though. She kinda quit corresponding, so I am not too hot on finding out if hers' was updated from 11.0 .