1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can we download Tivo Roamio updates to usb then plug usb into roamio 2 update it?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by TheChosenOne-, Mar 17, 2014.

1. TheChosenOne-

TheChosenOne- New Member

Jan 16, 2014
    My Tivo Roamio can't connect to wifi now for some reason and today it said the program schedule info or whatever ran out and it can't record stuff any more, at least the stuff you schedule. I haven't tried to record stuff when I am at home because the only time I need to record things is when I am away. Anyways just curious if I can download all the info/updates to usb then plug in usb to Roamio to update it

Edit: Btw, I just recently got the D Link dir 836L wireless router. I am pretty sure I was disconnected from the wifi or tivo service a month or two ago but I didn't care because I was still able to record stuff but like I said, today was the first time it didn't allow me to record

2. dianebrat

dianebrat I refuse to accept your reality TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Nope...
    The unit itself needs to check in and download

3. StevesWeb

StevesWeb Grumpy Old Geek

Dec 26, 2008
    Geek Hill,...
    If it is feasible for you to do so, I expect your connection problems will go away forever if you can get an Ethernet connection between your router and TiVo.

Ethernet cables are extremely reliable, while WiFi is not.

4. TheChosenOne-

TheChosenOne- New Member

Jan 16, 2014
    That's not possible since my room is on the first floor and the router is on second floor unless I hook them up temporarily to update. So is there a solution to getting it to work again through wifi?

5. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    Sounds like you need to re-set up the wifi connection with your new router. What have you done to resolve?

If you cannot get that working, a bridge is another option to try.

6. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Quad Sillies
  7. StevesWeb

StevesWeb Grumpy Old Geek

Dec 26, 2008
    Geek Hill,...
    The strength of any radio signal drops with distance according to the Inverse Square Law, so if you can reduce the distance between WiFi router and TiVo that might help.

Also, if there are other Wi Fi devices closer to the router that you can get onto Ethernet so your WiFi router is serving fewer clients in the near field that might help, possibly.

If your WiFi router accepts external antennas a larger/better antenna might help.

If you have something in the room where the WiFi is connected to the same coax antenna system as TiVo, then Mocha is the way to go.

8. zalusky

zalusky Active Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    Sometimes the DHCP on the routers can go south. I would reboot the router first then the Roamio.

9. shrike4242

shrike4242 Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Saint Louis, MO
    I would also check the router for updated firmware and make sure it's on the most recent firmware, which can help with issues like this.

10. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Which Roamio do you have? The Basic one or the Plus/Pro?

11. TheChosenOne-

TheChosenOne- New Member

Jan 16, 2014
    basic