1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can TiVo work with Dish Network?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by IndyJones1023, Sep 26, 2006.

1. IndyJones1023

IndyJones1023 Auteur

Apr 1, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    My brother is (unfortunately) locked into Dish in his condo. He wants a TiVo, though. I was going to tell him to just grab any cable one, but I don't think that'll work with a Dish receiver. Is he screwed? Does he have to go with the Dish solution? Or is there a TiVo box that'll work with a Dish receiver?

2. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    The general answer is yes Series 1 & 2 (not Series 3) TiVos will work with Dishnetwork receivers. But if you indicate which receiver he is using you might get a better answer, also if he has an HD receiver he will not be able to record HD shows in HD, only SD.

Good Luck,

atmuscarella

3. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Active Member

May 10, 1999
    Dish solution may be better in any event. Take a slight hit in the user interface in exchange for perfect video & audio recording, & dual recording.

4. IndyJones1023

IndyJones1023 Auteur

Apr 1, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    His is HD.

5. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    With Dish and HD I would recommend going with Dish's HD DVR, the ViP622, (currently you lease Dish receivers and pay a upfront surcharge ($199 I think) to lease the HD DVR plus the $6/mo DVR Fee). However if he records much actual HD TV the Dish DVR will fill up real fast. At that point he might want to add a Series 2 to give him more recording time (SD only).

Good Luck,

atmuscarella