1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can tivo premiere support the weight of a television

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Grandpasteve, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Grandpasteve

Grandpasteve New Member

Jan 13, 2007
    The television is a tube 25" and it has been sitting on top of a series 2 DT for years. The Series 2 DT is being replaced by a premiere - will the premiere support the TV?

2. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    It feels sturdy enough but, and I'm probably in the minority here, I wouldn't do it. One of the things I try to be careful of is not contributing to the possibility of overheating of my Tivo units. So I put them in situations where they don't have anything on them (well, one of my new Premieres has one of those stoopid cable company adapter things on it, but it's very small-still bugs me, though) so they can enjoy as much air circulation as possible.

3. compnurd

compnurd New Member

Oct 6, 2011
    i would agree from a heat perspective also

4. jmill

jmill New Member

Feb 22, 2010
    If your Series 2 DT was fine, the Premiere will be fine as well.

Not suggested, but it will work.

5. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    A 25" tube TV is going to weigh about 75 pounds! :eek:

ummm... No, I would not do it!

6. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    The Premiere is a smaller box than S2 TiVos isn't it?(I know it is smaller than the S3 models) If it were a small LCD set I would do it, but not with any tube set. Those are heavy.

7. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    I just took my old S3 off the shelf and stood on it (I wont say how much, but I weigh more than 75 lbs). Granted, I was careful to put my feet one the edges of the case rather than standing in the middle.

8. WestTx

WestTx Member

Dec 5, 2005
    West Texas
    I was reluctant to sit a TV on my Premiere so I bought a monitor stand that works great. I bought the OFC Express Monitor Stand from Amazon but I see that it's currently unavailable. If you can find one (they're about $50) the 20.5 x 11 x 5.25 size is perfect.

Les

9. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    Unlike the S3 and earlier models, the Premier box has very little extra clearance between the top of the hard drive and the top cover. It would not take a lot of deflection in the cover to come in contact with the hard drive. What's going to happen when the top cover touches that drive board sitting up on top???

BAD IDEA!

[​IMG]

10. sharkster

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    That's a good idea! You can find all kinds of monitor stands at every price level. That gives you a 'shelf' for your Tivo. I also have swivel stands that have a shelf below. These allow even more versatility so you can move the tv around for better viewing.

Truly, though, at this point I would probably just replace that little tv with a flat screen. (AND get a monitor stand). In that same size range it will take a lot less space and be way lighter. Plus you will have a better picture from your Tivo.

I recently (last year) replaced my 32" CRT bedroom TV with a flat screen in the same size and it was amazing the difference made by getting that dinosaur out of there. I swear, the whole room looked better. Plus it made it possible to move around the piece of furniture it was on so that I could clean back there.

11. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    What are those weird black spots in the picture? Photoshopped out serial numbers? or is some metal parasite eating the Premiere's internals?

12. ltxi

ltxi New Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Colorado
    I wouldn't feel comfortable using a Premiere as a CRT TV stand. Not at all.

13. MichaelK

MichaelK New Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ
    rather than spend $50 on a monitor stand- I'd spend $40 at amazon for the tivo slide bluetooth remote and just stuff the tivo box out of the way someplace so it doesn't need to be out in the open anyway. better remote and problem saved for $10 less.

14. Leon WIlkinson

Leon WIlkinson TiVo Gone Wild

Feb 13, 2000
    TiVo Town
    It's much smaller in fact its probably small enough to sit on the tv almost.

15. JPS10

JPS10 New Member

Nov 26, 2010
    Heck, even though it may not be pretty, I would use 2 bricks and a shelf board with the TV on top and the Premiere below before I ever put a TV on top of a Premiere.

With a little effort, you could easily build a very cheap stand if you don't want to buy one.

16. Leon WIlkinson

Feb 13, 2000
    TiVo Town
    I used stacks of cheap poker chips has feet for a TiVo which sat on another. :D

17. Grandpasteve

Grandpasteve New Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Thanks for the replies - I guess I will know when I see the Premiere. The TV is weighs much less than 75 lbs, but It sounds like the Premiere might fit on top of it. I agree that updating the TV makes sense, but it works fine for the bedroom until it dies.

18. Leon WIlkinson

Feb 13, 2000
    TiVo Town
    Grandpasteve I would not do that unless you glue something has a shelf on the TV.

If the TiVo gets knocked off it could damage the Hard drive.

19. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I vote for TiVo on top of TV if the TV has much weight at all.

http://woodworker.com/fullpres.asp?PARTNUM=110-549&LARGEVIEW=ON

They don't seem to have much of a selection left but they do have pictures.

We've got a black one (bought at big lots a while back) sitting on top of our TV with an S2, S3, and VCR stacked on it.

Here's a picture of a double decker version.

http://www.amazon.com/Computer-Monitor-Shelf-On-Top/dp/B0028TH41O

20. sharkster

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    Ha! Water bottle caps work well too. I had both of my old Series 2 Tivos sitting with water bottle caps under each foot to allow for more air circulation. Haven't done it yet with my new Premieres...still considering it, as the aesthetic isn't that great but I'll do whatever I need to, in order to keep them cool. :D