1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can the Tivo Premiere be expanded to 3TB?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by True Colors, Aug 24, 2013.

1. True Colors

True Colors Member

Oct 18, 2006
    The Tivo Roamio that just came out can be expanded to 3 terabytes.

The Premiere and the Roamio run similar firmware.

Sooooooo will it now be possible to expand our premieres all the way up to 3 TB?

I know that this is a shot in the dark. Just hoping.

What do you think?

TC

2. Davisadm

Davisadm TiVo is awesome!!!!!

Jan 18, 2008
    SoCal
  3. MeInDallas

MeInDallas Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Dallas, Texas
    I heard something in the Premiere software would have to be changed to do that, and I really dont think Tivo would spend the money or go to the trouble to do it, when they can just say "Buy a newer model and you can get more storage" and make more money.

4. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    The change would be between very difficult and downright impossible. Even in the Roamio line they moved the OS to flash and changed to a data only drive.

In order to do this, they would need to completely reformat your existing drive and reinstall of of the sofware.

Can it be done... Maybe, but the only way to do it would be by sending you a brand new non NTFS formatted drive with the software pre-installed. And that is assuming that they wouldn't encounter some pretty major obstacles even with that strategy - thus the Roamio design

TiVo can take a lot of flack for a lot of things, but not supporting an upgrade to 3TB on the Premier line has nothing to do with their desire to "Make Money"

5. MeInDallas

MeInDallas Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Dallas, Texas
    Totally beg to differ on that one.

6. Dec 7, 2013 #6 of 13
    jmbach

jmbach der Neuerer

Jan 1, 2009
    I just upgraded my 748 Premiere XL to a 3TB drive.

[​IMG]

Just did it today with a little insight from ggieseke who proved that an XL can boot a 3TB drive. Will post the procedure after I talk to him if anybody is interested.

Attached Files:

• 3TB.jpg
      3TB.jpg
      File size:
      126.1 KB
      Views:
  7. Dec 8, 2013 #7 of 13
    lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    You have more hours (stated) than my 3Tb Roamio+

8. Dec 8, 2013 #8 of 13
    lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    It looks to me like the TiVo is confused. The available (480HD/4215SD) exceeds the capacity (479HD/4195SD).

9. Dec 8, 2013 #9 of 13
    jmbach

jmbach der Neuerer

Jan 1, 2009
    It was initially. The picture was immediately after boot. Went back out of the screen then back in and it was 479/478

10. ggieseke

ggieseke Active Member

May 30, 2008
    What's an hour or two among friends when it's all a WAG anyway? It's still the first known 3TB Premiere, and that's a big accomplishment. :cool:

11. nooneuknow

nooneuknow TiVo User Since 2007

Feb 5, 2011
    Cox Cable...
    I see this ROUTINELY with 2TB upgrades, done with any means, including JMFS and a DVR_DUDE pre-imaged drive, immediately after a doing C&DE.

It goes away once all the Guide Data has been downloaded via a TiVo Service connection, and the Guide Data has been processed.

The question I always ask, in my own mind, is: Why should this space anomaly even exhibit, since the Guide Data and recording space SHOULD BE in two completely separate drive areas? How should/could one even effect the other, if the expansion of storage capacity is done in the CORRECT manner?

I've never posted about it before now, and this is the first time I've seen anybody else post about anything even remotely similar, even though I can replicate it 100% of the time.

Perhaps it has something to do with the supersize portion of it all?

12. allenfr

allenfr New Member

Feb 27, 2008
    Just did it today with a little insight from ggieseke who proved that an XL can boot a 3TB drive. Will post the procedure after I talk to him if anybody is interested.[/QUOTE]

I am interested in how it was done.Maybe we also could use a 4TB hard drive. I have done a upgrade using a 2TB and using JMFS to do it.
    Allenfr

13. jmbach

jmbach der Neuerer

Jan 1, 2009