1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can the mini downgrade HD?

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by m_jonis, Jun 27, 2013.

1. m_jonis

m_jonis Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Albany, NY
    If have an older TV (like the old RCA style connections) can you still watch live TV on it with a Mini, provided the Mini is paired from a Tivo Premiere XL 4?

specifically if the live tuner is HD?

2. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    The picture may not look pretty but with a composite break out cable you will have the ability to run any old TV with the RCA connectors red white and yellow on the back.

3. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Yes, but it has a problem with aspect. Unlike a regular TiVo it has no way to tell it the TV is 4:3 so all widescreen stuff is displayed squished instead of letterboxed like it should.

4. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    That what I meant when I said above The picture may not look pretty

5. m_jonis

m_jonis Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Albany, NY
    Thanks everyone! Maybe I'll pick up some cheap-o no-name LCD TV.

6. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I saw a 32" at Wal-Mart recently for like $150

I bought my Nephew a cheap-o no-name LCD at Wal-Mart like 4 years ago and it still works just fine. I even bought a 3 year warranty, just in case, and never needed it.

7. m_jonis

m_jonis Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Albany, NY
    Thanks Dan. I had an old 23" LCD computer monitor that I could use, but then it doesn't have built-in speakers, so I'd have to use like an amplified set of computer speakers or something.

Coincidentally:

If I wish to route the AUDIO through my Receiver, it appears that the Mini can only use HDMI? I'm assuming the AV output is non-digital so you would only get stereo?

(ie: I see no dolby digital optical/toslink audio output)

8. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    There is no toslink. You have to use HDMI for full 5.1.

9. Jul 2, 2013 #9 of 24
    Loach

Loach New Member

Jan 11, 2013
    Omaha, NE
    I get around that by just running HDMI from the Mini to my TV which supports audio pass-through. Then I run TOSLINK audio from my TV to my non-HDMI receiver.

10. Bigg

Bigg Active Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    Yeah, get a new TV. Why would anyone spend $250 on a TiVo Mini and not put it with an HDTV when an HDTV is cheaper than the Mini?

11. moedaman

moedaman New Member

Aug 21, 2012
    The biggest reason would be that the person only has $250 to spend and not $400 - $500. There are still a lot of people with only one HDTV and a SDTV or two that work great.

Personally, I'm with you on connecting HD devices to HDTV's. But there are people out there that can't afford to upgrade everything at once or feel that what they have still works fine.

12. Bigg

Bigg Active Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    I think we passed the point a couple of years ago where a TV that isn't an HDTV isn't worth having at all.

And if you can't even afford a cheap little TV, why the heck do you have cable?

13. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    I don't think that a fair question to ask anyone, your allocation of money may be much different than someone you don't know. The OP just wants to find out if there is a solution the this problem without the purchase of another TV, the answer is no, we should leave it at that.

14. moedaman

moedaman New Member

Aug 21, 2012
    You may have passed that point, but your opinion doesn't hold for everyone. And once again, you show that you feel that your opinion is the only one that matters. Maybe someone doesn't what a cheap tv and wants to save up to purchase a quality set. The fact that someone is asking about a Tivo product shows that they're more interested in buying a premium dvr rather than using the cheap cable providers equipment.

15. Bigg

Bigg Active Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    It makes absolutely no sense to spend in the neighborhood of $100/mo and $250/TV to add TiVo, and supply an SD signal to your TV. It's simply nonsensical when LCD TVs are available for $150 or even less if you look at used ones. For small TV's, 768p and 720p is plenty enough, as it's hard to tell the difference between that and 1080p on a <20" set in the kitchen, laundry room, exercise, whatever.

The future is here and for those still stuck in the past, well the train left the station about 5 years ago.

And if they're interested in dropping $250 on a TiVo Mini, then a similar cost for a TV shouldn't be a huge concern. I'm even questioning using an older LCD TV with a TiVo Mini, as it seems sort of mismatched to have a TiVo Mini that cost more than the TV, but at least the thing has HDMI (if it works- it may not be HDCP), HD component and something like 768p resolution.

We live in an HD world. The place in the current HD world for legacy equipment is in a recycling center that will properly recycle and reclaim the material from the TV.

EDIT: We live in a smartphone, HD, broadband, Wifi, you get the picture.

16. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    You, and I for that matter, may feel that way BUT dropping $250 on a Mini that gives you the full cable service at an old TV is the OP way of wanting things now, everybody does not have to have the newest toys all the time, I have a tube type TV in a guest bedroom, and a TiVo TP without service but having a cable card for the few times a year I have house guests (my cable cards are only $1/month). I can easily afford a new HD TV but see no need for one in that bedroom.
    Don't spend other peoples money, my cousin spent about $3000 for a great surround sound system for his HDTV, it was too hard for the wife to operate so he disconnected it and purchased a sound bar, so as I was saying some people find simple better, and don't spend money if they can get away without having the best.

17. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Have to agree with Bigg here, it's silly IMO to drop $250 on a Mini to drive an old CRT given how cheap low-end LCDs are now. But to each his/her own.

18. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    I was just saying that for $250 he gets full cable at this old TV, a start, as nothing prevents him from getting a HDTV in the future, meanwhile you can watch a program on the old TV, not pretty but watchable. I don't know a less costly way to do this (be able to watch the TiVo in that room) and $400 may just be too much for the OP now, or he wants a much better HDTV than a $150 unit so saving up to purchase one is an option.

19. Bigg

Bigg Active Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    You don't need TV in every room. If you're going to do it... do it right.

That's so dumb to not be able to pick up a remote and turn the surround sound on. Those things aren't rocket science.

20. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    OK, my cousin wife is dumb, a dumb 75 year old chick that was a former school teacher, but my poor 78 year old cousin has to live with her.