1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can someone tell me why

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by synch22, Oct 1, 2012.

1. synch22

synch22 New Member

Dec 30, 2003
    sometimes if I am watching a show and decide to record, if I was on that channel prior to the show it will include the previous show due to the buffer and a 30 min show will record 45 mins or so depending on how long I was on the previous program.

My question is why does this happen only sometimes and other times it does not? I have sometimes decided to hit record and the tivo erases the buffer and records the show, and I may have wanted to include the previous show (buffered) portion.

There seems to be no real rule.... anyone have this issue?

Using my series 3.
  2. CoxInPHX

CoxInPHX COX Communications

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    I believe it has to do with the current position you are in, in the buffer.

If you are rewound to the beginning of the buffer on the prior show, that portion will be recorded also.

If you are already into the current show and at the front of the buffer (LiveTV), then the prior shows buffer will not be recorded.
  3. synch22

synch22 New Member

Dec 30, 2003
    this is making a little sense to me I will see if thats the behavior pattern thanks. Happend again tonight I was watching the previous show on buffer then it was gone due to starting to record on the same channel.
  4. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    From what I understand, Live TV is recorded in memory blocks longer than 30 minutes (so TiVo has a 'buffer' so to speak) and sometimes the start of a recording block does not fall on the hour (or half hour).

This results in the extra material at the beginning of the recording when you select to record a show already in progress.
    The amount of extra material depends on the video being recorded. With HD material, you may only get 10 minutes of the previous program, while with SD material, you may get the entire previous show.

This should not be a problem. When you go to the recording in the NPL, the Tivo starts you at the beginning of the show you intended to record.
    I look at this not as a bug, but a feature.
    Say you are 40 minutes into a 1 hour show and you decide to record it. You have a chance to catch the whole thing, not just what is in the buffer.
  5. anakha000

anakha000 New Member

Jun 17, 2012
    I used to experience the same behavior, and I considered it a feature. In the past month or two though it has changed for me. Now, no matter where I am in the buffer the Tivo only records the current (relative to the TIME now, not the BUFFER) show. I think I might start a new thread to see if other people have the same experience. Any of you have this behavior change recently?