1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can Roamio work as Slingbox replacement?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by yukit, Oct 1, 2013.

1. Oct 1, 2013 #1 of 13
    yukit

yukit Member

Jul 23, 2005
    I just discovered my Slingbox HD pro is not working as I am preparing to travel. It is not going to help me this time, but I was thinking about a replacement; would Roamio be able to stream outside of LAN?

Based on the slingbox threads, I am thinking no. If someone figured out a way to route the stream outside of the home, I would like to know.

Since I already have a couple of tablets with Slingbox software, I might just get a Slingbox 350, but I would be willing to get a Roamio if I can stream when I am not home.

2. Oct 1, 2013 #2 of 13
    Beryl

Beryl Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2009
    Texas
    Not yet. Streaming currently is only inside of the LAN. Sorry. Safe travels.

3. Oct 1, 2013 #3 of 13
    jcthorne

jcthorne Active Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    It is an announce feature that is headed to the Roamio line. Someday but not now.

4. Oct 1, 2013 #4 of 13
    prisk

prisk New Member

Nov 19, 2006
    The Roamio won't stream outside the LAN, but if you set up a VPN connection you can get it to work. Several threads around here on how to do that.

Also, you can download programs to your ipad and watch them on the go. It's not streaming but if you have enough content to keep you busy it will work.

5. Oct 1, 2013 #5 of 13
    bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    Did they ever get that to work consistently? I didn't think so, but maybe I am wrong.

Not yet - is the answer, so I suppose it depends on how soon you really want the service. The Roamio reviewers looked at a BETA version of stream outside the home, and TiVo has hinted at a late 2013 release.

The beta version didn't wow the reviewers with its quality and the release date could slip... But, it is coming.

Looking at you signature - you don't need a Roamio, you already have an Elite. You just need a TiVo Stream box.

(Personally, I would get the Roamio - it is that good. But I do have a stream laying around if you want to go that route.)

6. Oct 1, 2013 #6 of 13
    Loach

Loach New Member

Jan 11, 2013
    Omaha, NE
    I've kind of been waiting to see if outside of LAN streaming works well before I pull the trigger on a Plus. Not sure I can justify the cost of a Plus without it, but if it enables my son to access our cable from his college dorm room it might shatter any remaining willpower that I have.

Otherwise I might just get a 3rd mini to complete my setup.

7. Oct 1, 2013 #7 of 13
    Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    If you have a Basic Roamio or a Premiere you can get the same functionality by just buying a standalone TiVo Stream. You don't have to upgrade to a Plus.

8. Oct 1, 2013 #8 of 13
    Loach

Loach New Member

Jan 11, 2013
    Omaha, NE
    Understood. Lots of alternatives for completing my whole home setup if and when out of home streaming is launched.

9. Oct 2, 2013 #9 of 13
    vurbano

vurbano New Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Disappointing. I thought the plus was more than equal to a premiere and a stream. It's one of the reasons I purchased it. Now I find that it is not and I can not stream out of my network.

10. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    It's got 6 tuners and a MUCH faster CPU, so it is better then a Premiere + Stream. But the Stream part is exactly the same, it's just soldered onto the mobo instead of in a separate box.

11. buscuitboy

buscuitboy New Member

Aug 8, 2005
    Atlanta area
    I would love to see this and it would make me more likely to pull the trigger on getting a Roamio, but I tend to wonder if this is really the reason for the delay in this feature as cable companies SURELY don't want this to be easily available. Therefore could threaten to not co-operate with TIVos (even though FCC requires them to w/ cable cards).

The cable company/network business model is so deeply entrenched that I could see them somehow killing something like this. Also the reason a-la-cart programming has never really taken hold and most likely won't for YEARS to come.

12. vurbano

vurbano New Member

Apr 20, 2004
    I had 6 tuners before with 3 premieres. This seemed like the way to go instead of buying a stream. Too bad what's soldered on the motherboard only half works, the novelty half. Why on earth would anyone want to watch tv on a 10 inch screen inside their own home? In order to be useful the feature needs to work outside of the home giving it real value.

13. SugarBowl

SugarBowl Member

Jan 4, 2007
    Cary, NC
    It's supposed to be coming this month.