1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can Roamio stream to an un-sub'd unit?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by markp99, Sep 12, 2013.

1. markp99

markp99 TakoKichi TCF Club

Mar 21, 2002
    Nashua, NH
    Can Roamio stream to an un-Sub'd Premier or S3?

2. generaltso

generaltso Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Vermont
    No. You can only stream between units that are on your account, which means they need a subscription. I don't believe MRS is supported on the S3 at all.

3. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    You can't do much of anything with an un-subbed unit these days. I don't even think they let you pause live TV anymore without a subscription.

4. NYHeel

NYHeel Active Member

Oct 7, 2003
    I believe you can still watch previously recorded shows though.

5. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    Yes you can, and watch live TV without guide data.

6. series5orpremier

series5orpremier Active Member

Jul 5, 2013
    With an S3 you can do manual recordings with no guide data, but that may only work if you've kept it from communicating with the mother-ship for a long time.

7. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Yeah they stopped allowing that on un-subbed units back in the S1 days. With a S1 you could do quite a bit without a subscription, but then they started subsidizing the hardware so they took most of it away and introduced "boat anchor mode". (that's actually what it use to say in the System Info screen when you didn't have a sub)

8. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    After about 30 to 45 days most non Series 1 TiVos will go into brick mode even if it has Lifetime Service if the TiVo does not call home. It will only work as a tuner and be able to play back recordings. I have a Series 2 with Lifetime that does this when I power it up until it calls home.

9. series5orpremier

series5orpremier Active Member

Jul 5, 2013
    Not my Tivo HD. I cut off communications with the Tivo server before it's subscription ended in 2010 and retained manual recording functionality (by time and channel) up until my unit stopped working earlier this year from hard drive or motherboard failure. The unit's internal clock slowly drifted off course but it didn't matter since I just adjusted my start and end times accordingly. I only used it occasionally for a 3rd and/or 4th tuner to supplement my Premiere XL.

It's kind of moot now since I'm not about to mess with trying to fix it and have plenty of tuners with Roamio.

10. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    That why I said most not all, others have reported the same as you, it may be the level of software or just luck, but don't count on it working.