1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can pyTivo run on Windows 7

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by buscuitboy, Mar 25, 2014.

1. buscuitboy

buscuitboy New Member

Aug 8, 2005
    Atlanta area
    I have pyTiVo running on some XP machines and feeding about 4 TiVos in my network. It works great for my needs. Seeing as XP support is getting totally shut off here in April, I was looking to maybe try and move pyTivo to some PCs running Windows 7. I thought I remember trying this a while back and didn't have total success. I didn't look into it much more since my XP machines were running fine at the time.

Can pyTivo run on a Windows 7 or Windows 8 machine? If so, is it a straight forward installation or is there maybe a special way of installing it?

2. eboydog

eboydog Just TiVo'ing.....

Mar 23, 2006
    Works fine on 7 for me, only thing is you need to make the exception for the firewall ports if you have the network firewall turned on. I don't know about 8 but I would expect it would be OK or otherwise there would have reports of such which I haven't heard personally.

3. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Near...
    Running fine on Win7 for years now.

4. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    Windows 7, 8, 8.1, yes. At the other end, it should run even on Windows 95. I haven't tested that, but there's someone here who runs it on 2000, for whatever reason. Plus OS X, Linux, whatever. There's very little OS-specific code in pyTivo, and nothing specific to individual versions of Windows.

5. buscuitboy

buscuitboy New Member

Aug 8, 2005
    Atlanta area

How is this done within Windows 7?

6. gonzotek

gonzotek tivo_xml developer

Sep 24, 2004
    Outside...
  7. buscuitboy

buscuitboy New Member

Aug 8, 2005
    Atlanta area
    OK, I got this working with no problems. I guess I was over analyzing it and its easier than I thought.

In the past, I have always had problems with pyTiVo and transferring .MKV files. I wonder if this was an XP thing and/or due to the processing power of an older PC. Anybody able to encode .MKV files without a problem with pyTivo? If so, what kind of PC is doing the transfers for you?