1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can ping ethernet even though no cable connected

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by windracer, Nov 8, 2013.

1. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Just got my new Roamio Pro set up last night on MoCA, it downloaded the fall service update, and I got BHN to pair the Cisco CableCARD (PKM803 with 1.5.3_F.p.0601 - we'll see how that goes). Everything is working great.

I noticed, however, when checking my router, that the Roamio's ethernet MAC appears as "connected" to the router even though currently it's set as MoCA only and there is no ethernet cable plugged into the jack.

I can "ping" the ethernet address. If I try to access it via a browser, I get prompted for the login, but then get a "resource not found" error (if I connect via browser to the MoCA address I can access the web-based Now Playing).

Is this just a function/side effect of the internal MoCa+Ethernet bridge?

2. AdamNJ

AdamNJ Member

Aug 22, 2013
    Dunellen, NJ
    Even if it is connected via MOCA, it is still assigned an IP address and will appear on the network. It is connected as if it is any other wired connection. The wire is just in a different form (coax vs cat5).

3. windracer

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    I understand that ... what I'm saying is that I see two separate MAC addresses connected to my router, the MoCA MAC and ethernet MAC, even though no CAT-5 cable is connected to the ethernet jack.

4. tatergator1

tatergator1 Active Member

Mar 27, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    If you are seeing only 2 MAC's, you're seeing the Ethernet/MoCA MAC (i.e. the general MAC for the device) and the other is MAC address for the built-in Stream.

5. windracer

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Doh! The internal Stream, I forgot about that. When I saw the three MACs on the back label I was thinking MoCA, ethernet, and wireless and forgot the Stream is a separate component.

That explains it, thanks! :cool: