1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can only keep recordings xx hours?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Riverdome, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Riverdome

Riverdome Member

May 12, 2005
    I was trying to figure out why my recordings of the World Junior Hockey Tourney from the NHL network were not appearing in Tivo. Tonight I started watching a game nearly live and received the message that the recording can only be kept for another ~90 minutes.

I'm familiar with the copy flags but this is much worse. Guessing there is nothing I can do about this but wanted to check with the Tivo crew.

2. Riverdome

Riverdome Member

May 12, 2005
    Searching around it appears that this flag is only to be used for VOD and PPV but those references were a few years old. Can anyone confirm if thay is still correct?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

3. PCurry57

PCurry57 Liberal Hippie Chick

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    TWC set that same flag on 3D London Olympics coverage. I'd record segments while at church only to get home and not be able to watch it.

4. tatergator1

tatergator1 Active Member

Mar 27, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    Sounds like the CCI flag is set to:

0x03 - Copy Never - the content can be recorded and viewed for 90 minutes after transmission, and is not transferable.

You can verify by tuning to that channel, then go to:

TiVo Central > Settings & Messages > Account & System Info > DVR Diagnostics.

Scroll through the tuners until you find which tuner is on that channel, and there will be a line for the CCI flag.

5. Riverdome

Riverdome Member

May 12, 2005
    Tater yes that is the problem. I understand it's common for PPV and VOD but is it allowed for cable channels?

I have a friend who had the same problem with NHL network when he lived out west, but not with DTV. Trying to understand who to complain to TWC or NHL Network?

6. tatergator1

tatergator1 Active Member

Mar 27, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    Could be a requirement of NHL Network, or could be a mistake by TWC. I recently discovered the HD version of a channel on my TWC service is 0x00, when the SD version is 0x02 like almost every other TWC channel. Definitely a mistake in the copy protection. AFAIK, FCC rules only mandate that local channels be set to 0x00. The cable company can do whatever with anything else.

I have a feeling trying to get an answer to this question from the general TWC support phone number would be equivalent to banging your head against the wall. Perhaps TWC's national CableCard line would at least understand the question, but who knows whether they could answer why it was set 0x03.

7. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    They are allowed to set the flag however they want on everything except the local channels. However they have to abide by the flag in their own DVRs as well. So if they set it to Copy Never then it will effect their own DVR users as well. The reason they don't care about setting it to Copy Once is because none of their DVRs offer the ability to transfer shows off the DVR, so it only negatively effects TiVo users.

8. Riverdome

Riverdome Member

May 12, 2005
    Well no call from TWC but today I tune in to watch the World Junior Championshipa live (yuck) and the CCI byte is back to 0x02.