1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can no longer read .mpg files

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Steve Rhodes, May 22, 2012.

1. Steve Rhodes

Steve Rhodes New Member

Jan 23, 2009
    West Linn, OR
    Neither my Premiere nor my S3 can find previously recorded Tivo files on my PC. They used to w/o any problem. I used to be able to push and pull .mpg files back and forth. Now they can't locate them. Did Tivo do something nefarious? :confused:

2. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Are you using Tivo Desktop? This happened to me all the time.

Now I use PyTivo and it works perfectly all the time.

3. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You can also try re-starting the tivo.

4. Steve Rhodes

Steve Rhodes New Member

Jan 23, 2009
    West Linn, OR
    Oh yes, I've restarted both Tivo's several times in my attempts. Also restarted Tivo Desktop several times. I'll checkout PyTivo, whatever that is. :) Thanks.

5. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Is the TiVo not seeing the PC at all? Or is it not listing the files when you browse the PC?

If it's not seeing the PC at all then it's likely a network or firewall issue. If it's not seeing the files then make sure that TiVo Desktop has the My TiVo Recordings folder pointing to the right drive. I've also seen situations where there is one bad file in the directory that will cause TiVo Desktop to choke and prevents it from displaying any of the files that come after that one.

Dan

6. Steve Rhodes

Steve Rhodes New Member

Jan 23, 2009
    West Linn, OR
    Found it! ggieseke had the answer in another TiVo forum thread. Running AVG as I am, you have to manually open UDP port 5353. Go here on how to do that: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308127. Works perfectly now.