1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can no longer copy shows from one tivo to another

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Selden, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Jul 1, 2012 #1 of 11
    Selden

Selden New Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Since about June 18, almost EVERY show I record on any of my 3 Tivos will not copy to another tivo, they all have the red circle with the diagonal line... which I think means the show is copy protected. What gives? This is true even for shows that before June 18 were NOT copy protected and I could copy (such as Lois & Clark on Hub). Is something broken in the latest Tivo service release? Is this a bug? I think this really limits the usefulness of my Tivos! I've tried restarting all three Tivos... no change.

2. Jul 1, 2012 #2 of 11
    sushikitten

sushikitten 143 down, ??? to go! TCF Club

Jan 27, 2005
    DC-ish Suburbia
    It's been happening a lot longer for me. Most of what I record on my S3 won't copy to the Premiere.

3. Jul 1, 2012 #3 of 11
    unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Who is your cable provider and in which market?

4. Jul 3, 2012 #4 of 11
    LifeIsABeach

LifeIsABeach New Member

Feb 28, 2001
    Drexel Hill, PA
    Most likely this has nothing to do with TiVo. Your cable company probably just started copy-protecting everything. They could have done it by accident (it has happened before), so you may want to call and ask them about it.

5. Selden

Selden New Member

Jul 18, 2005
    I'm with Time Warner, San Diego. I contacted them and they told me it's not a problem on their end, and to contact Tivo support. But they also had this cryptic sentence in their response:

Please be advised that a CableCARD has its records protected because it does not allow you to view its content on a different TiVo.

So is there anything I can do about this, or am I out of luck with Tivo?

6. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    Sounds like you are using Series 3/HD Tivos. TW is one of the worst abusers of the CCI byte- another TW user recently had their tansfer ability shut down as well. You have been lucky in the past, as TW had CCI set for most customers for years. I would expect you can transfer the networks- if that is copy protected they are breaking the law, otherwise they are allowed to limit this legally.

If you have (only) Premiers you can stream content between units (MRS).

7. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    What sounds strange is that the OP seems to not be able to transfer shows that were recorded BEFORE there was any anti-copy flag applied.

"This is true even for shows that before June 18 were NOT copy protected and I could copy".

8. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    I believe that is noted at the show/series level and and necessarily an indication of what has been recorded previous to June 18. Though, I could be wrong, I would be very surprised if there was a way to flip a byte on something already on the device.

9. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    I do not believe that is accurate. The copy protection is on the recording, not the series. As usual, TWC is flat out lying about who"s responsibility this is. They either blame it on the content provider or TiVo. Now they've added CableCARD as a culprit. The only thing CableCARD has to do with it is that in order to get certified, a CableCARD device must enforce the copy protection flags.

10. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    Sorry lpwcomp- you misunderstood my comment. I was responding to gastrof, who throught the OP was perhaps saying previous recordings could not transfer.

The OP mentioned that the new episodes of a series cannot be transferred. I am saying the same thing as you- each episode is getting the flag as its recorded, so older ones in the series can be transferred, but the new ones cannot. TW cannot crawl into the TiVo and change codes.

11. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Ah, Ok. I think the problem may be that what the OP is saying is being misinterpreted. I could be wrong, but I don't think the OP is referring to recordings made prior to the 18th suddenly being copy protected. Like you, I don't see how this would be possible.

Sorry I took so long to respond. I was AF(my)K for a few days. Was only able to use my friend's computer when she wasn't.