1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can iPad Stream Live from Any Tuner?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Bighouse, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Bighouse

Bighouse 200 Club Member

Sep 3, 2004
    Guerneville, CA
    I'll be getting my Roamio Pro in a couple of days and I'm looking forward to being able to watch recorded and streaming live from my iPad...I think it does all of that with the Tivo app, right?

Well, my question is this:

Can you use the Tivo app on the iPad to watch any of the six tuners on the Pro, or are you restricted to watching the tuner that's being watched on the TV?

Does out of home viewing work the same?

2. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    "Live TV" currently is a big hack in that it initiates recordings on the host TiVo and then starts streaming the recording. So no it's not restricted to what's being watched but it will leave a bunch of junk recordings lying around you'll have to delete when you are done.

At some point we hope TiVo will update the iOS software to take advantage of what the Mini is now doing which is to borrow a free tuner for live TV streaming purposes instead of the current hack of initiating recordings the iOS App does.

3. Bighouse

Bighouse 200 Club Member

Sep 3, 2004
    Guerneville, CA
    ick. I thought the Roamio was the end all of Tivo devices?

4. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    It's not a Roamio or Stream hardware problem, it's iOS software that hasn't been updated to take advantage of dynamic tuner allocation.

5. Bighouse

Bighouse 200 Club Member

Sep 3, 2004
    Guerneville, CA
    Hmmm...well that's kind of lame. I hope Tivo updates the app soon to make it behave in a more obvious way and allows for real time streaming without having to make a recording first. Either way it's consuming a tuner, so I don't see the reason why the Pro would behave any differently from the Steam.

6. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    There is no difference in behavior. The standalone Stream and Pro Stream are essentially same hardware and same software and behave same way. Again, it's the iOS software that's the problem, not the other side.

7. eboydog

eboydog Just TiVo'ing.....

Mar 23, 2006
    So as stream doesn't take up a active tuner but to stream live TV it starts recording the desired channel and then "streams" off the recorded channel? If so while it doesn't stream real live like the Mini does, it will consume one tuner which is recording the channel you are watching?

Another question, once stream is complete, does that recorded channel get deleted so it doesn't remain in My Shows?

8. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Current "Live TV" implementation is just a macro which initiates a recording on host TiVo and then starts streaming that recording. No, it doesn't automatically clean up the partial recordings for you - it's up to you to clean up afterwards for most cases (if you reach the end of the recording you will get the usual dialog to keep or delete, but if you exit before end of recording it will just leave it in MyShows).
    The Mini with Dynamic Tuner Allocation still has to allocate a tuner for itself, so in terms of taking a tuner it's no worse.