1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I use my TiVo with ClearQAM (i.e. no CableCARD) ?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by sofakng, Oct 10, 2012.

1. sofakng

sofakng Member

Dec 18, 2003
    I'm not getting my cablecard's until Friday, but my TiVo Premiere XL4 will be delivered today.

On my coax line, I do receive a handful of clear qam channels...

Will I be able to fool around with my TiVo before installing the cablecard?

2. SeanC

SeanC ECT

Dec 30, 2003
    Someplace
    Yes, you will just have to rerun guided setup after installing the cablecards.

3. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    Those channels may not show up in any Tivo channel data but you may be able to manually punch in the channel numbers and see them. Just run Guided Setup without the CableCard and see what shows up. As was previously posted, you will want to run Guided Setup again after installing the CableCard. I have analog channels available on mu cable and was able to get them without a CableCard on my Premiere but I think the P4 only has digital tuners.

4. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    IIRC, there's an option in Guided Setup that says "I will get a CableCARD later" you can select. This way it downloads the proper channel lineup and you don't need to re-run GS after the CableCARD is installed and paired.

5. sofakng

sofakng Member

Dec 18, 2003
    Yeah, I've just received my XL4 and you're right... you can select to setup cable card later.

However, it won't let me tune my clear qam stations. The only listing available is the actual cable package, and the clear qam channels don't line-up exactly so I can't figure out a way to tune them.

Oh well... I guess I'll just have to wait until Friday and I get my cable card.

6. lillevig

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    As I recall, when I set up my Premeire pre-CableCard and got the non-CableCard channel listings, my ClearQam channels were listed but not tunable on the number I would normally use. There were, as I remember, other versions of them that I could select from the channel list but they did not have Guide Data available. As an example, one of my ClearQAM channels tunes as 103. In the listing there was maybe a 103 and a 103.0. Check your channel listing to see if there are double listings like that. I hate having a new toy and not being able to play with it. :D

7. lillevig

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    True, but I think the OP wants something he can fiddle with prior to getting the CableCard. In that case, it's best to say that you don't have a CableCard so you can get a channel listing that includes ones that don't require the card.

8. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    You should be able to direct dial them on the remote. The dash is the ->| (advance/skip-to-tick) button, so you could punch in 13-1, for example. Or, under Settings > Channels you can try a channel scan, which should add the clear QAM channels (but might also add a lot of junk channels as well).

9. WVZR1

WVZR1 Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...

Enter your zip code and pick your provider:

http://www.silicondust.com/support/channels/

10. Grey Griffin

Grey Griffin Member

May 24, 2007
    Tulsa, OK
    You may need to run a channel scan to see the clear qam channels.

11. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    As far as i know you must run the TiVo channel scan to see the clear QAM stuff, if the cable card is installed channel scan will not work.