1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I transfer my contents

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Apwmel, May 2, 2014.

1. Apwmel

Apwmel New Member

May 2, 2014
    I have a Phillips Directv TiVo, which I am told has a problem on the mother board and needs to be replaced. My question is how can I transfer the contents on my current unit to another unit or is there someone who provides a service like this?

2. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Sorry, this can't be done. The content is all encrypted with the key tied to the motherboard.

3. eboydog

eboydog Just TiVo'ing.....

Mar 23, 2006
    Only way is to use a PC capture type card if it can play the recorded contents, if not there is no way.

There was a method but that only works for new recordings and not those already recorded and that doesn't help you. I think you can find out more at deal data base dot Com. Back in the day there was scripts and Ptvnet which would enable ethernet networking, install the Web server to it, hackmanager and allow transfers but that was a long time ago. Without encryption disabled prior to recording, there is nothing you can do.

4. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    If you can play the recordings, you can capture them to an external device, but you can't store them on another DTiVo.

Yes, if one has previously "hacked" the DTiVo and disabled encryption, plus installed networking hardware, it's possible, but after the fact, no.