1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can I swap cablecard into new tivo without dealing with Fios or cablevision?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by joy_division, Dec 5, 2013.

1. joy_division

joy_division New Member

Nov 22, 2007
    I have a Tivo HD. I have Verizon Fios. I am looking to get a Roamio to replace the Tivo HD. Can I just swap the card into the new unit or must I call or have Verizon come out to do some setup?
    What is I had Cablevision, because I might switch back to them next month when my deal with Verizon runs out and they don't offer me a better deal than Cablevision can.
  2. dianebrat

dianebrat Uncontrolled Force

Jul 6, 2002
    You will not need a truck roll, you can swap the card and then with a phone call or online chat they can pair it with the new unit.

If you don't use HBO or SHO, then pairing is less important since those are the only 2 networks they protect that are affected by a card being paired or not.
  3. joy_division

joy_division New Member

Nov 22, 2007
    Great, thanks Dianebrat. I do not have HBO or Showtime and would not have it if I switch back to Cablevision.
  4. Turtleboy

Turtleboy Active Member TCF Club

Mar 24, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Diana is theoretically right - assuming you find a competent CSR.
  5. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural New Member

Feb 2, 2006
    You don't need to speak with a CSR to activate a cablecard on FIOS. Call 1-888-897-7499 and follow the menu prompts to set up a cablecard. You'll initially be asked for the cablecard ID and your zip code, IIRC. If you activated the card previously via self-activation, you may be able to use the same activation code you received originally with the card. Otherwise, just say No when asked for that info. Eventually, you'll be asked to enter the Host ID and the Data number. All of this info should be displayed on the cablecard setup screen of your Tivo.

I swapped two cablecards to different devices on FIOS just about a week ago over the phone and it was quick and painless. I never had to speak to a CSR or a live person for either activation. Both devices were activated and receiving subscribed channels within minutes of entering the data on my phone's touch pad.
  6. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    It's HBO and Cinemax.