1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I replace the hard drive in a series 3 with one from a premier?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by JHawk, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Aug 4, 2013 #1 of 12
    JHawk

JHawk New Member

Nov 4, 2002
    Lawrence, KS
    My series 3 HD appears to have a bad hard drive(stuck in powering up). A while back I bought a new Tivo premier from Best Buy for $29 open box. Can I take the hard drive out of the premier and put it in the series 3 since the series 3 has a lifetime subscription.

TIA,
    JHawk

2. Aug 4, 2013 #2 of 12
    jakerock

jakerock Hey ho howdy! TCF Club

Dec 9, 2002
    Lee, NH
    I don't know what hard drive comes in a premier. If it is compatible with the series 3 then yes. BUT that is just the hard drive itself. I don't think that the image is the same between a series 3 and a premiere so you'd have to get a compatible image and put it on the hard drive in order to do it.

3. Aug 4, 2013 #3 of 12
    lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    NO, unless you put the Series 3 image on the Premier drive. See the upgrade section of this Forum.

If you want to ever use the $29 Premier you purchased you will have to make a copy of that image for future use, why did you purchase that Premier ? I have one (TP) for parts because I have some Lifetime Premiers.

4. Aug 4, 2013 #4 of 12
    JHawk

JHawk New Member

Nov 4, 2002
    Lawrence, KS
    I wanted the remote.

5. Aug 4, 2013 #5 of 12
    unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If you're going to go to the trouble of replacing the drive in your S3 (after confirming that the drive is the problem and not something else, like the power supply, a very likely candidate), consider finding a WD20EURS somewhere on sale for about $100 and use that instead, and have 2TB of space and a 3 year warranty.

6. Aug 4, 2013 #6 of 12
    lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
  7. Aug 4, 2013 #7 of 12
    JHawk

JHawk New Member

Nov 4, 2002
    Lawrence, KS
    Thank you all for the info. I've been messing with the Tivo off and on all day and actually now think the culprit is the Tivo Expander hard drive. I've had nothing but trouble with those things but at least they have a 1 year warranty. Best Buy doesn't hassle me about a return. I should have thought of that expander first.

Anybody want a deal on a new premier sans the remote:)

8. Aug 5, 2013 #8 of 12
    Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    So close,...
    Sorry to go off topic but quick question, do these remotes control more then one Tivo? I've been wanting a new remote but mines has a switch for Tivo 1 and 2 and I would need that in a new remote since I have two units in my man cave.

9. Aug 5, 2013 #9 of 12
    dianebrat

dianebrat I refuse to accept your reality TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Not unless you reprogram the ID number between uses. I prefer the older 1-2 switch units with 2 Tivo's in the room

10. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    You would need two remotes in the same room, or (not knowing what 2 TiVo you have in your man cave) you could only use one TiVo for watching programs by streaming between TiVos and only use the other remote when you had to program the other TiVo, OR wait until the 6 tuner TiVo is out and replace your two TiVos with that one.

11. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Or get one of the older remotes with the 1-2 switch, as mentioned by dianebrat. Available new for $18.99 from weaKnees or used from eBay for less.

Don't understand why the OP paid $29 + tax just to get a remote that could have been purchased for half that. However, utilizing the hard drive makes it worth the price.

12. Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    So close,...
    I have a premier and an HD. It's my poor mans version of a 4 channel Tivo though I'm about to get rid of the premier after losing my job. I got a nice severance but $12 is $12 and belt tightening means doing without.