1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I move lifetime to another box with the "change service number" link on tivo.com

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by CrashHD, Feb 15, 2014.

1. CrashHD

CrashHD I am the me.

Nov 10, 2006
    MO, USA
    Will the "change service number" link in my account on tivo.com allow me to move the lifetime service to another (identical model) tivo box?

I'm considering socketing the prom on my tivoHD, and it would greatly steady my soldering hand if a lifetime service wasn't on the line at the time.

2. replaytv

replaytv gun talk ignore list

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    No, you can't move the lifetime yourself. TiVo can if the boxs' lifetime was bought before January 21st 2000.

3. CrashHD

CrashHD I am the me.

Nov 10, 2006
    MO, USA
    I had a feeling there was a catch to it. I didn't want to buy a spare box just to try it.

4. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    Delete

5. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Have you been in touch with omikron over at that other site which may not be named here?

You might prefer trusting him to do it for you.

6. CrashHD

CrashHD I am the me.

Nov 10, 2006
    MO, USA
    I'm aware of his services. He has a reputation for outstanding work. If I hire it done, that will be where I go.

I bought the box lifetimed and broken on ebay, so $100 is about what I've got in it. Spending $100 on a socketing service, or putting $100 worth of box at risk, the alternatives are in financial balance, and I could go either way with it.

I've socketed a few boards, a few years back, and can probably do this ok, and there is a certain satisfaction for a DIY project like this that is tough to put a price on.

7. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Broken in what way?

8. CrashHD

CrashHD I am the me.

Nov 10, 2006
    MO, USA
    Hard drive. It's been running fantastically with the replacement drive.

PSU caps look bad, but are not currently presenting symptoms. They are getting replaced as soon as I have time, or if they begin to present symptoms.