1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I Ip control an unsubscribed Tivo?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by smalis, Jul 20, 2012.

1. smalis

smalis New Member

Sep 15, 2003
    I have a Tivo Series 3 that I control over IP, on my home wifi network, and it works great.

I am thinking of buying a used Tivo (HD or Series 3) for my bedroom, to use as a tuner (with a CableCard, without a Tivo subscription) for my bedroom TV - much less expensive than renting a set top box from RCN.

Does anyone know if I can connect an unsubscribed Tivo to my wifi network, and control it over IP?

Thanks.

2. True Colors

True Colors Member

Oct 18, 2006
    Never gonna happen.

Without a subscription the HD Tivo is just an oversized doorstop.

TC

3. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    You can use an unsubscribed Tivo as a tuner only. It will be like using a dumb cable box. You will only be able to control it with the remote control. No guide data. You can only change channels using the up/down arrow key or by directly entering the channel number from the numeric keypad.

If you are going to do this, I recommend getting a Series 3/Tivo HD. At least that way, you will still have a 30 minute live TV buffer on both tuners.
    The Premiere line has the live TV buffers disabled on boxes with no subscription.

4. shwru980r

shwru980r Active Member

Jun 22, 2008
    You will get pop up screens nagging you about not having Tivo service.

5. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    I don't think we actually know the answer to this.

6. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Yes we do.
    The key to doing anything with a tivo remotely is the MAK. An unsub'd Tivo has no MAK. No MAK means you can't do a damn thing with it remotely.

7. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    No, the MAK is not required for the IP-based remote control service. (I refer here to the old, "Crestron" interface, not the new, "iPad" interface. But that's the only one that works on a Series 3 anyway.) In fact there is no authentication at all for the remote control service. It just has to be enabled in the menus.

8. replaytv

replaytv gun talk ignore list

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    If you get a Premiere with old enough software you can still have the live TV buffers and manual recording, but it is a pain to work with. The time will be off too.

If you can put up with a standard definition box and what to go the cheapest with basic features, go with a Pioneer or Toshiba DVD/DVR for about $40 on ebay that has basic Tivo for free. It only has 3 days of TV guide and no internet features other than guide download, but much better than working with unsubscribed TiVo.

9. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    How long have you had your current unit?

Lifetimed or monthly payments?