1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I get the straight scoop when it comes to M-Cards and Comcast, please?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by FixItPete, Sep 1, 2012.

1. Sep 1, 2012 #1 of 29
    FixItPete

FixItPete Big Time Fan Newbie

Oct 27, 2008
    FL - Comcast
    I have a TivoHD and I can't seem to get the straight scoop with regard to my M-Card.

I have an M-Card, and lucky for me, it works.

However, they are charging me $1.50 a month for it. When I called them they told me that the Single Ch. card is free, but the MCard isn't.

Is that legal or right?

Thanks,
    Pete

2. Sep 1, 2012 #2 of 29
    mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Active Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    $1.50 per month and you're complaining? Mine cost me $3.99 apiece and some people pay much more than that.

3. Sep 1, 2012 #3 of 29
    aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a "straight scoop". It very much varies by market.

4. Sep 2, 2012 #4 of 29
    lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    Actually, that's Single Stream, not Single Channel, but the distinction in this case is moot. The bottom line, however, is you would require 2 S-cards, and what do you want to bet at least one of them is not "free"? Of course there is also the issue of availability. No one has made an S-card in years. I would not be surprised if there were none available in your area.

It is most certainly legal. I won't argue whether or not it is "right", but many of us pay far more than $1.50 for their CableCards.

5. Sep 2, 2012 #5 of 29
    lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    And you, like many of us, have more than 1 CableCard, I believe. I certainly do, although mine are $2.99 each, not $3.99.

6. Sep 2, 2012 #6 of 29
    sbourgeo

sbourgeo Hepcat Daddio

Nov 10, 2000
    New England
    Yes it does. I have one multi stream card on my account for my TiVo HD for Comcast Limited Basic cable and I am charged $0 for it. Others have reported $1.50 charges, "HD Technology" fees, and the like.

7. Sep 2, 2012 #7 of 29
    mr.unnatural

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    Verizon originally charged me $2.99 back when they only had S-cards. I was grandfathered in at that rate when they switched over to M-cards. I finally retired my last S3 Tivo a few months back so I no longer have any of the $2.99 cards. I currently have three M-cards @ the $3.99 rate for two Ceton InfiniTV4 quad cablecard tuners and one SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime triple networked cablecard tuner.

$1.50 for an M-card is a great deal. Then again, there's a reason why I dropped Comcast over a decade ago.;)

8. Sep 2, 2012 #8 of 29
    WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    What part of NJ are you in?

9. Sep 2, 2012 #9 of 29
    dianebrat

dianebrat I refuse to accept your reality TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    When I was with Comcast it was pretty simple, the first device, cablebox OR CableCARD was bundled free, each device after has a charge.

I miss the day of $1.99 CableCARDs, with FiOS you pay $3.99 each, no discount, but it's the only minus to FiOS, everything else makes me happy every day that Comcast is nowhere in my life.

10. mr.unnatural

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    +1:D

11. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    Yeah, same for Time Warner. Times five. Ouch!

TWC had the same rate for both S-cards and M-cards, until some time last year. They dropped the price for all CableCards to $1.99. Still times 5, though. Then eariler this year, I switched to Grande from TWC, and guess what? 'Back to $2.99 each. Ouch, again. Still, even with the higher CableCard rental costs, Grande is nonetheless less expensive than TWC, and has much better internet performance (by a factor of 3) to boot. Unfortunately, they are missing some HD channels I would really like to have. Except for MGMHD, they have the channels, just not in HD. OTOH, they do have AXSTV (formerly HDNET) and especially HDNETMV, which were both dropped by TWC when the owner insisted TWC send them out without copy protection. Still, for a $40 a month savings, I can live with it.

Yeah. Try five on for size at that price. (No, I know you weren't complaining: it's not an attack on you. I'm just venting.)

Yeah, surely enough. In truth I have no problems with the CATV companies making money, even on CC rentals, but I really think there should be a cap on how much one ultimately pays for CC rental, or indeed STB / DVR rental. Of course, most CATV companies cut their STB / DVR rental fees much closer to the bone, but there is no way the CableCards TWC rented to me cost anywhere nearly $840, yet that is roughly what I was ultimately charged. A reasonable profit margin is one thing. A 700% profit margin is quite another.

12. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    Oy. For me that would be $20 a month. $240 a year. Mega-ouch!

FixItPete, at $18 a year, you don't know how good you have it.

13. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Quad Sillies
    Thank your lucky stars...I have an original S3 (requires two cards, either S or M or one of each) and a TiVo HD (one M-card)...all at $1.99/month for a total of $5.97/month.... (with Mediacom)

14. MHunter1

MHunter1 TiVo Bug Hunter

Oct 11, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    The first CableCARD Comcast provides free is intended to be plugged into your primary TV and tune one channel at a time (single stream), replacing the need for a cable box.

Since my TV doesn’t have a CableCARD slot, the only free equipment I'm eligible for is a cable box, so I pay $1.50 per month for each of my two TiVos' multi-stream cards.

15. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    The only part of that post that is correct is that a CableCard replaces the need for a cable box. Everything else? Wrong.

16. dianebrat

dianebrat I refuse to accept your reality TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Please do NOT "correct" my post when attributing it to me, I can assure you that there was not an s-card requirement for the first card in my market.

17. sbourgeo

sbourgeo Hepcat Daddio

Nov 10, 2000
    New England
    Not true here with Comcast. I believe their terminology is that the first "outlet" is free, which is why there is no fee for the multi stream cable card in my TiVo HD.

18. retiredqwest

retiredqwest Member

Sep 7, 2010
    I paid $1.10 for many months.... until last month. Now I pay nothing. And I didn't even ask them to remove it.

And a Comcast support CSR removed the charge. The way it is supposed to work NOW is the first CARD S or M it matters not on a OUTLET/DEVICE is free.

The M-Card can actually do 6 streams like on the Cetron thingy. So, it has nothing to do with streams/channels/tuners or whatever.

I had to go back to my 5-19-2011 bill that shows these charges.

THE big problem I don't know if this a standard practice in ALL of Comcast. You all need to do a little research and see if you can find the following in the attachment.

Oh and here is something else to throw at them.

If they insist you are required to pay.... Then explain you want an outlet fee removed since it is obvious I must have the 2 cards in 1 device if they are charging you a SECOND card fee on 1 outlet.

Remove $1.50 or $8.00 in my case..... I'm sure they will have to think that one over.

Have fun with this....

Attached Files:

19. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    Or in any market, at least not at the current time. FCC regulations specifically demand that every provider stock and supply M-cards.

20. NowPlaying

NowPlaying Member

Mar 7, 2002
    Menlo Park,...
    Cable card pricing seems to vary by market. In my area, Northern California, I get one cable box at no charge. Additional boxes are $5.00 each.

If I replace the primary cable box with a m-card I get a $2.50 credit on my bill for user supplied equipment. Additional m-cards are $1.50 each.