1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I deactivate an S3 but still transfer?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by wkearney99, Jun 6, 2014.

1. wkearney99

wkearney99 Bill Kearney

Dec 5, 2003
    Bethesda,...
    Just bought a Roamio to replace an aging Tivo HD. Can I deactivate the unit and still transfer from it?

I don't plan on using it for anything other than retrieving various shows stored on it's drive. It's cablecard is out, over in the Roamio (did not have to re-register it, on FIOS). It doesn't even have any cable or antenna connected to it. Just the wired Ethernet connection to the network.

We still have a bunch of other Tivo units (XL4, Roamio Pro, Stream, Mini, another HD) so it's not like we're ditching anything.

I'm a few days short of the renewal date, so deactivating it would save me a few bucks. And get one more thing off my to-do list...

2. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    No. The unit has to be active to transfer.

3. wkearney99

wkearney99 Bill Kearney

Dec 5, 2003
    Bethesda,...
    Would kmttg still transfer from it? Or does the unit itself dummy-up and refuse to do anything since the sub is gone?

I've got a PC setup pulling everything from it via kmttg. With luck (at a blazing 13mbps) it'll be done transferring everything off by the renewal on the 11th.

4. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Transfer is part of the service. If you are still paying monthly, you might be able to get $99 lifetime for it, call Tivo.

5. wkearney99

wkearney99 Bill Kearney

Dec 5, 2003
    Bethesda,...
    Which I might do. Perhaps not for this unit, but for the other remaining S3. At this point I've more units than I need, so at least one S3 will get deactivated. I've already got the Roamio, an XL4, a Mini and a Roamio Pro on lifetime.

6. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    A unit with lifetime would fetch more on a resale then one without.

7. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If you have an original S3 (clock on front), that would be the one to lifetime (at $99) if you're only lifetiming one, as the lifetime can be moved via moving the crypto chip in case of motherboard failure to another of the same model motherboard.

When the HDs and HD XLs came along they had incorporated the chip into the CPU, which is a much hairier proposition to move than the separate crypto chip, and it's considerably more complicated than a simple power supply capacitor replacement.