1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I Bypass Guided Setup on Tivo?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by gcol23, Apr 25, 2008.

1. gcol23

gcol23 New Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Hey all...

I've got a Series 1 Tivo that we previously had a subscription for, but I just updated to a new Tivo and now have our service on that one.

My question is...I gave the old Tivo to my daughter for her to use at her house for doing manual recordings. It had been working just fine for a few months, but now all of a sudden, it's stuck in the "Guided Setup". Since it's not hooked to a phone line or a computer, I haven't been able to get past this setup mode.

So, does anyone know how I can get past the "Guided Setup" so it can still be used just for manual recordings?

Please advise...and thank you for your time!!

2. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    you will need to hook it to a phone line and let it try the call

3. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    The way to get out of guided setup is simple. Just complete the process. It's the one and only way.

4. tzh2231

tzh2231 New Member

Jan 17, 2012
    If I can find a drive image that is already passed the guided set up, and image it onto my drive, it should work, right? I have the same problem and no phone line in house...

5. socrplyr

socrplyr Active Member

Jul 19, 2006
    At least on newer Tivos that won't work. I don't know about the S1, but on the newer ones if you do the copy over you have to do a clear and delete all, which requires the guided setup to be run afterwards.

6. tzh2231

tzh2231 New Member

Jan 17, 2012
    man that sucks.... I wonder whether modifying the rc.sysinit script would allow me bypass the set up. I am now stuck with my dumb series 1 Tivo in guided set up without a phone line anywhere around me.

Nowadays a 'real' phone line is like a baby dinosaur.

7. Speed Daemon

Speed Daemon New Member

Jan 15, 2012
    The installers for the TiVoNet (NE2000 ISA card adapter) and TurboNet (10/100 1-piece network card) products that I installed on my S1 boxes did something to load the needed modules and to use the network in place of dial-out. IIRC precisely what they did was documented online. Try Googling for these products and/or look on the 9th Tee website for documentation. That should give you a better understanding of the boot sequence.

I'm just guessing, but if there's no configuration, it'll take a lot of modification of the Tcl scripts and other TiVo-specific config files.

8. tzh2231

tzh2231 New Member

Jan 17, 2012
    Actually the tivo I was fighting with now did work fine as is before I clicked the guided setup thing out of curiosity one day...

So, unless the guided set up wipe out everything at the beginning, I should still have some stuff configured, is not it?

I saw some "boat anchor mode" horror story regarding series 2, not sure whether series 1 would be fine if I get a network card and get it online without sub. Now I do not even know which version OS I have on the tivo.

9. Speed Daemon

Speed Daemon New Member

Jan 15, 2012
    IMO Guided Setup is an excellent place to have a "bail out" button, for a variety of reasons.

At the risk of offending the TiVo company, I don't see how it could hurt to allow people to develop and publish mods that could allow end-of-life products like the S1 to do other things. For example, having an old S1 box that does little more than endlessly record the line input (like for a security system) would be better than consigning the hardware to the junk heap. I think it's safe to say that a S1 owner probably owns (and pays subscription fees for) newer TiVo devices, so it's not like TiVo is losing revenue.

10. tzh2231

tzh2231 New Member

Jan 17, 2012
    Totally agree, I am playing it mostly for fun, and now after more digging I found people were talking some "fakecall" thing that would not only get rid of the initial set up, but also get rid of the "nag" message that reminds you to do daily call on almost every button.

IMO all these hacking/locking war between service provider and consumer really started from their initial deceptive marketing policy - they use a 'cheap' device to try to suck you into an expensive service, while they lose money on the front, they would nag you for a lifetime monthly payment.

11. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Only if it was an image from a drive that already went through Guided Setup on that TiVo.

It's a matter of whether the TiVo Service Number on the drive matches the TSN on the motherboard.

If it doesn't, it starts in Guided Setup.

12. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If the S1 in question has already been updated to version 3 of the operating system, it's ready to use an external modem or a TurboNet or CacheCard with just the addition of a dialing prefix, which can be done during Guided Setup.

13. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    The moral of the story is when you get the TiVo set the way you want it, make a backup image right then.

14. tzh2231

tzh2231 New Member

Jan 17, 2012
    I actually got the tivo from a friend who moved far far away, and I had no knowledge about tivo to begin with :D
    This sure is a good call though!

Now I am stuck, I have no backup image, no phone line and no subscription ( i guess).

15. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If you have a broadband connection to the Internet rather than a dial-up, check out what's left of the links here:

http://www.tivohelp.com/archive/tivohelp.swiki.net/33.html

to learn how to make a TiVo serial port to computer serial port (old 9-pin style, not USB) cable, and use PPP with Windows.

If you have a dial up connection then you have a phone line.

There's a freeware or shareware program called PilotNet, one version of which is still available as of this writing:

http://www.geocities.ws/daveinfopage/pnet2.zip

which lets your TiVo use your computer's modem (and has a window that let's you see the TiVo and the TiVo, Inc. server talk to each other).

You'll need that same TiVo to 9 pin serial cable mentioned above.

16. tzh2231

tzh2231 New Member

Jan 17, 2012
    unitron, thanks for this great information! I did solder a cable and tried it, but it did not work, so I guess my OS is not up to 3.0 yet, I will have to pull out the hard drive to apply some changes to enable pppd I guess.

17. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If it doesn't have 3.0 yet it must have been taken out of service a long time ago.

What's the model number of the TiVo you're wrestling with?

Is it the original hard drive?

18. tzh2231

tzh2231 New Member

Jan 17, 2012
    Yes it sure was long time ago, LOL
    I think that guy actually never put it on service at all, it is a Philips HDR212, so I tend to believe it has 1.3 OS.
    Oh the drive actually was upgraded to pretty big, however he sure enough does not have a backup image.

19. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I'm working on getting an image together with 3.0 and LBA48 patch.

In the meantime you might want to go to mfslive.org and read up on both MFS Live and WinMFS and make a backup of that original software, if not for yourself, then for others.

What's the date of manufacture on that unit?

It might be old enough to have more manual recording ability than later S1s.

20. tzh2231

tzh2231 New Member

Jan 17, 2012
    ok I am heading to the beast to get it off my video set up and open its brain now.