1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I add Airport to remote TiVo Premiere/MoCA connection?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by PaperQueen, Sep 6, 2013.

1. PaperQueen

PaperQueen New Member

Oct 25, 2009
    My set up:

Storage room
    Cable line into the house > Cable modem, Time Capsule, and MoCA. This room is the heart of house wifi network.

Upstairs bedroom
    Cable outlet > MoCA box > TiVo Premiere

It works for the TiVo, but...sure would like to add a second Airport to the bedroom, extending the otherwise weak wifi signal to that part of the house.

Is that possible? Where/how do I add an Airport to the bedroom setup?

2. mdscott

mdscott Active Member

Jun 26, 2002
    Hermosa...
    MoCA Box upstairs: Has EtherNet port, yes? If so is this currently connected to Premiere?

Airport express can be added (setup to extend current network) and connected to network via the EtherNet on MoCA box. If necessary add a small (3 or port) EtherNet switch directly to box so both Airport Express and Premiere can be connected.

michael

3. PaperQueen

PaperQueen New Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Thanks, Michael!

So that I don't misunderstand, this is what you suggest:

• Ethernet port on the MoCA box > ethernet switch

...one switch port > TiVo
    ...one switch port > Airport

Basically, the switch acts like a splitter, right...? Can't believe it's so simple (she says, feeling like a dork). :eek:

4. FrodoB

FrodoB Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Middleton, WI
    I just did this exact thing less than two weeks ago. (New house was too big for the router's Wi-Fi signal to reach, so I needed an extender.) There's a second port on an Airport Express to connect the Premiere to if you wanted to avoid the switch. Of course, that only works if the Premiere is the only thing in that area (besides the new Airport Express) that needs Ethernet. In my setup, I have a switch as well to support Blu-Ray players, etc.

5. mdscott

mdscott Active Member

Jun 26, 2002
    Hermosa...
    Unless the Express is as old as mine. Good to know.

michael:)

6. PaperQueen

PaperQueen New Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Ohmygosh...this has been here under my nose the entire time. :eek:

Just passed the internet signal (via ethernet cables) from the MoCA, through the Airport Extreme, to TiVo. Am getting full wifi in the entire east end of the house now, plus TiVo is happy.

Off to repeat the same in the living room....

THANK YOU BOTH!

7. mdscott

mdscott Active Member

Jun 26, 2002
    Hermosa...
    Additional note which just struck me: if the Premiere is 4 tuner model - you can enable MoCa in the Network Settings screen and remove the ethernet connection. All will come through the coax. This is where MoCA really shines.

michael (who apologizes for increasing options):)