1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I access Series 3 from a Smart TV

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by pos1, Nov 26, 2013.

1. pos1

pos1 New Member

Jan 14, 2009
    Pretty simple question. Wife wants a new TV. We have another TV with a Series 3 connected. Debating if I spend the extra $s on a SmartTV.

Question - is there any way for the new SmartTV, which will have a wi-fi connection, to access the Tivo content on the other TV? After all, it's just another hard drive on the network. In other words, can I watch stuff on the Series 3 (downstairs) on the new TV (upstairs) without purchasing another Tivo?

I suspect the answer is no, which will help determine if I spend the extra $s on a SmartTV. There's really no other reason I need one, so may just purchase Roku instead (which provides way better services than any SmartTV for the same total price).
  2. lgnad

lgnad Pantless Mofo

Feb 14, 2013
    No, youd have to get a tivo or at least a mini on the smart tv

Theres no tech reason why tivo couldnt make an app to stream to smart tvs, but i wouldnt bet on it happening anytime soon.
  3. Shanezam203

Shanezam203 New Member

Jul 27, 2007
    Yeah I think you would need at least a Mini on that TV to play your recordings from your Series 3. another option is to Split the HDMI or Component whatever connection you have on your Series 3 to a 2nd tv and run a long cable to this new TV. That's not always practical but in that case it would show 100% on both TV's what is on the s3. Then you get a 2nd remote and an RF extender and you are set... ;)

HDMI 4x2

And RF Extender

+ HDMI cable
  4. dianebrat

dianebrat Uncontrolled Force

Jul 6, 2002
    A mini only works for S4 and S5 machines, S3's are too old
  5. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    They're just the right age, it's the other stuff that's too new.
  6. madneon

madneon New Member

Jun 16, 2007
    AMEN to that....tivo's going strong (with new server HD's) 6 and 7 years strong...knocks on wood.:D