1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can HD Tivo output to standard TV?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by randomsolutions, Jul 25, 2007.

1. randomsolutions

randomsolutions New Member

Jul 25, 2007
    I just recently purchased the S2DT Tivo for my Non-TV. I'm thinking of returning it and buying a HD Tivo.

I was wondering if the HD Tivo would be able to output the analog cable signals I recieve to my non-HD TV? Also if I get OTA HD will I be able to output it to my non-HD TV through the composite connections?

I plan on upgrading to an HDTV in the future, but don't want to spend the money on one right now. Please help!!

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, but I can't seem to find it in any of the FAQs/Reviews.

THANKS!

2. avmike

avmike Member

Jun 11, 2007
    It should. I currently have my second S3 in the bedroom hooked up to an SD TV. You even get the benefit of watching HD-only channels, of course down-converted to 480i.

Mike

3. dvr4me

dvr4me New Member

Jul 10, 2007
    Added question and answer to [post=5351201]the TiVo HD FAQ.[/post] Thanks!

4. randomsolutions

randomsolutions New Member

Jul 25, 2007
    Awesome! Thanks for the info. I don't have Component inputs on my TV. Will the HD signal be down-converted to my composite outpus?

5. ping

ping New Member

Oct 3, 2005
    Along these lines, can you actually record a HD signal in SD (i.e. downconvert while the recording is happening)? It looks like the hardware is capable. I'm really asking if the software supports it.

6. hutchca

hutchca New Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Nope.
    On digital channels the TiVo just writes the digits to the disk as they come in.
    There's no recording quality setting for digital channels nor is there a way to change the recorded resolution.

7. WeKnSmith

WeKnSmith New Member

Jun 24, 2002
    Noblesville, IN
    The added benefit is that the HD signal (either OTA or from the cable company) looks better that anything else that your regular TV will display. We have had our Series3 hooked up to one of our SD TVs and even my wife noticed how much better the HD content looks via S-Video compared to any of the other stuff we have (cable or DirecTV on the SD TV.)

8. dianebrat

dianebrat I refuse to accept your reality TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    This is mentioned only by it's omission in the specs, but of note is that Series3 and the HD do not have an RF-out, not a deal breaker in this case, but important to keep in mind for folks asking about non-HD sets.

I've seen several threads such as this, and while I don't think it's a huge deal for most, there is the possibility someone might bump in on this thread in "non-HD" research

9. megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    No RF out - but it takes a pretty old set to only have RF in and no composite video input.

I do have such a set in my bedroom - and the DVD units also lack RF-out (it is just pass-through), so I picked up a cheap RF modulator at RadioShack and connected my RS-TX20 to that.

10. ajwees41

ajwees41 Active Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE

I think that not having rfout on the tivohd is stupid. Most cable boxes have it and why should people need to run it through a vcr with rca inputs it just uses more electricity than have an rf out on the tivohd.

ajwees41

11. jfh3

jfh3 New Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    It's not stupid at all - why add the cost of an RF output that almost no one needs or should use?

12. dianebrat

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    :up:

13. ajwees41

ajwees41 Active Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE

How much is the rf out for a tivo?

If it had an rf out I think more people who don't have HD tv's would get and ditch thier cable company dvr, but without the rf out people who only have a tv with rf in will need to purchase a new tv.

ajwees41

14. vstone

vstone New Member

May 11, 2002
    Martinsville...
    Not much, but lot of CE discussions talk about how much would it cost to add x? or y? The designers must decide, among other things, what is worth keeping? If you have enough to buy a Tivo HD with service, and probably with cable, then you probably have a TV or monitor that has some variation of input other than coax.

15. dianebrat

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    I just can't see the RF only input folks wanting a DVR if you ask my opinion.
    Add in the fact that if you have an RF output, you have to deal with controlling those RF emissions (if you're a good designer)

I think removing RF out is a great move, and I've never been one to think that it, or a pass-through are required when you can put a single splitter ahead of the Tivo

16. ajwees41

ajwees41 Active Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE

I am one my 27 inch ge tv only came with rf in.

Like I said before most cable dvr's and regular digital boxes have rf out.

how would the splitter work?

ajwees41

17. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Active Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    ajwees41,

Actually what you need is an RF Modulator - I also have a 27" TV with only RF In needed one of these when I got a DVD player here is a link to one at radio shack to see what I mean:

RadioShack RF Modulator

Cheaper Version

Good Luck,

18. Martin Tupper

Martin Tupper Pontiff Emeritus

Dec 18, 2003
    FYP

19. ajwees41

ajwees41 Active Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE
    But why did tivo not include it when the cable and satelite companies include it on there boxes?

ajwees41

20. Leo_N

Leo_N Lucky 200 member

Nov 12, 2003
    Wisconsin, USA
    Sorry if this comes off as rude, but the market Tivo is going after with an HD capable unit is NOT someone with a television with RF only input. That is why they still have the S2DT units for sale.